0.9.4 Works :-) 0.9.5 Doesn't :-(

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jimccjr

0.9.4 Works :-) 0.9.5 Doesn't :-(

Post by jimccjr »

Hello,

I am a total novice with all of this. I have been using 0.9.4 to convert video files for playing on my Sony BDP-S570 (via the USB input). This process has worked flawlessly.
When I upgraded to 0.9.5, the files no longer play. Is there some simple setting that was changed?

• As a novice, I never adjust any default settings. I just load the file and click Start
• 0.9.4 (still on my laptop) continues to created files that play fine. 0.9.5 (on my iMac) creates the unplayable files.
• The Sony BDP-S570 will play either .mp4 or .m4v

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: 0.9.4 Works :-) 0.9.5 Doesn't :-(

Post by s55 »

Try setting a hard framerate. If that works, feel free to complain to sony that their software isn't supporting VFR content correctly.
jimccjr

Post by jimccjr »

Thanks s55. Your suggestion worked!
The default setting is "same as source" so I'm confused why setting a hard frame rate to the value that is "same as source" would make a difference, but like I said, I'm a total novice!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your output was VFR when Same as source was set. Setting it to a hard level made it CFR.

HandBrake used to incorrectly flag VFR as CFR and players generally worked better when we had this bug. Now that it's fixed, we are seeing a surprising number of broken players.

Fwiw, might want to check for software updates, I know some players have fixed issues.
Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Post by Rodeo »

Same as source means variable framerate (even if the actual framerate is constant).
Phobia

Post by Phobia »

Just for the record, the same thing happens when trying to play your encoded content with Playstation 3
(at least when streaming via MediaLink, didn't try to copy the file to PS3 itself but most likely it's the same...)

-> Change FPS's default "Same as Source" to relevant fixed framerate and it's working smoothly again.
Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Post by Rodeo »

Phobia wrote:Just for the record, the same thing happens when trying to play your encoded content with Playstation 3
(at least when streaming via MediaLink, didn't try to copy the file to PS3 itself but most likely it's the same...)
Nope. The PS3 handles variable framerate MP4 files just fine (there is an A/V sync issue that seems to only affect AC3 audio, but not AAC).

It's quite possible MediaLink transcodes or even just remuxes the file for streaming and doesn't support VFR properly.
rjsherman1

Post by rjsherman1 »

I have an S570 - with the only available update, and have this problem ... where "some" of my handbrake'd m4v's play ... and others do not.

It's important to ensure you have the correct frame rate selected - so far, my collection of films, the frame rates are all at the 23.9 -