Does it hurt to leave Detelecine and Decomb on?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
larysius

Does it hurt to leave Detelecine and Decomb on?

Post by larysius »

Just curious if when I use the High Profile setting in 0.9.4 if having either of those filters on when the source doesn't require it will dampen the quality of the resulting file? Thanks in advance.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Does it hurt to leave Detelecine and Decomb on?

Post by TedJ »

In normal operation with the vast majority of sources the answer is no, although there is a small performance hit. The detelecine filter can sometimes stumble on badly converted NTSC -> PAL material, but I've only seen this on maybe 2-3 titles in my time using HB.
larysius

Post by larysius »

Thanks!
TedJ wrote:In normal operation with the vast majority of sources the answer is no, although there is a small performance hit. The detelecine filter can sometimes stumble on badly converted NTSC -> PAL material, but I've only seen this on maybe 2-3 titles in my time using HB.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I tend to leave them on for DVD sources, but turn them off for HDDVD/Bluray sources (unless I know they will be needed, which is very rarely... maybe once in about 100 or so encodes so far). This results in a slight bump in encode speed.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

This handy rule seems to serve me well.

I have two presets. One with decomb only and one with decomb and detelecine both enabled.

For 23fps and 25fps sources: decomb only.

For 29fps sources: decomb and detelecine both.

You can tell a source's frame rate from the "Summary" tab.

Detelecine shouldn't be enabled all the time without checking how it's performing. Detelecine can sometimes mishandle a source leaving you with stuttering issues. It works without failure on most 29fps sources, but if it's an old anime source, then panning scenes will show a serious stutter.