Duplicate preset and make changes....

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jellegard

Duplicate preset and make changes....

Post by jellegard »

is there a way to duplicate one of the presets and then make changes to the duplicate? i know someone out there will just say make one from scratch, blah, blah, blah. the reason i want to duplicate one of the presets is so that i don't miss any settings in an existing preset. i only want to adjust one setting in the iPad preset. if this is doable please let me know....

thx.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Duplicate preset and make changes....

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

1) Select the iPad preset.

2) Make your change.

3) Save the preset.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

made the necessary changes but i can't seem to find a "Save" for preset(s). tried making a change, exporting and then reimporting but it imported exactly like the original preset i tried to change....
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

See the little "+" icon at the bottom of the presets window?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

...or the Presets menu at the top of the screen?
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

yeah i see both smartass. under the "Presets" menu at the top your choices are:

Update built-in presets
Delete built-in presets
---------------------------
New preset
Export
Import
Select Default Preset

you tell me genius, which one of those is DUPLICATE? which one is save? when i highlight the iPad preset and then change the video settings the way i want (all i am adjusting is the HxW) and then hit the '+' at the bottom of the slide out try all i get is a copy of the iPad preset. so the question remains - how do i copy a preset, make changes, then save them to a new preset. thank you for your time and assistance.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Rodeo wrote:1) Select the iPad preset.

2) Make your change.

3) Save the preset.
4) Under Picture Settings > Use Picture Size, select Custom.

Oh, and you want Command-N (New Preset), the "...from current settings" is implied.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

jellegard wrote:yeah i see both smartass. under the "Presets" menu at the top your choices are:

Update built-in presets
Delete built-in presets
---------------------------
New preset
Export
Import
Select Default Preset

you tell me genius, which one of those is DUPLICATE? which one is save? when i highlight the iPad preset and then change the video settings the way i want (all i am adjusting is the HxW) and then hit the '+' at the bottom of the slide out try all i get is a copy of the iPad preset. so the question remains - how do i copy a preset, make changes, then save them to a new preset. thank you for your time and assistance.
New, dumbass.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

maybe i am a dumbass. but to me, by selecting "New Preset" would imply that i am creating a NEW preset sans any settings. maybe a "Save current settings as a preset" or "Duplicate preset" would be a better choice. in case there are anymore dumbasses out there like me, sans means without. i just wonder if the devs ever get out of beta and start charging for Handbrake if the condescending tone and snide comments will cease. i won't hold my breath.

it seems to me there are lot of posts asking basically the same thing when it comes to encoding for multiple devices. maybe in the 'Toggle Presets' sliding window the devs could keep the ones they have for people encoding for one device and below the current presets add checkboxes for ALL the devices that people would like to encode their videos on. people could check off all the devices they want to use the encode for and Handbrake could ask, before encoding, if the user wants a Low, Medium or High Quality encode. at that point, Handbrake could make the necessary adjustments to the settings and then begin encoding. just one dumbass' two cents....
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

We anxiously await your patch submission.