Latest presets...

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jellegard

Latest presets...

Post by jellegard »

hello all-

i just D/L the latest nightly build. this is the first time i have done this. i noticed the presets have been updated which i am glad to see. my question is i primarily use Handbrake to encode my full RIPs for my kids. they primarily watch them on their iPads when we travel. but they also watch on their Apple TV (the version prior to the latest gen) on a 50" Kuro Plasma. they rarely watch them on their iPhones.

my question is, is Universal still the best for viewing on multiple devices considering the devices they are being watched on? would i not be better off, and wouldn't they get better quality viewing using the iPad preset or Apple TV preset vs. Universal? i don't follow this all that much and hope one of you genius' out there can save me the trial and error. appreciate it....
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Latest presets...

Post by mduell »

tv is the preset to use... iPad preset is too demanding for the legacy tv to play. Drop the AC3 track if your kids don't care about surround sound. Add decomb and/or detelecine filters as necessary.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

thx for the prompt repsonse. if i have the Apple TV getting its video from a NAS via Ethernet over Cat6 is the iPad setting still too demanding? what if i spring the 99 bucks for the new one? what setting would you then choose? they RARELY watch movies on their iPhones. if i bought the new Apple TV would you recommend the iPad setting even though it's 1024 vs 720? what do decomb and detelecine do exactly? thanks for all your knowledge....
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

i'd like to modify my original post. i have broken down how/where the videos i am trying to encode in Handbrake will be viewed:

90% - iPad/27" iMac
8% - Apple TV
2% - Apple iPhone

which preset (i am using the latest nightly builds) would one use to get the highest quality and best viewing experience based upon the data above? i will be upgrading the Apple TVs this week to the latest generation.

i assume it would be the iPad setting. if that is indeed the preset i should be using i have a question on the audio settings. most of my RIPs are BluRays ripped having used MakeMKV. when ripping the discs i pull ALL English audio tracks. when i select a the iPad preset in Handbrake i get the following for audio:

0: English (DTS) (5.1 ch), AAC (Core Audio), Dolby Pro Logic II, Auto, 160

there is no 2nd audio track being populated by the preset. should i add one? if so, should i use these settings:

0: English (DTS) (5.1 ch), AC3, Stereo, Auto, 224
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The iPad preset is too demanding for the old AppleTV, as in not compatible.

What kind of iPhone(s) are you targeting?
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

all my kids' iPhones are 4G. as for the AppleTV - i just ordered 3 of them since my last post.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Then AppleTV preset unless you end up ditching the old model, in which case you can use the iPad or High Profile preset: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18266
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

i just read the link you posted - thank you. very informative. if the post just prior to your in the link you provided asked about High Profile vs. iPad presets. the person says they are about the same. storage is NOT an issue for me as i have 24 terabytes. i would prefer to do this only ONCE per movie/TV Show/disc as i have A LOT of movies/TV Shows. since all the devices i will be using the Handbrak'd files on are the latest generation A4 devices (iPad, AppleTV, iPhone 4G) and storage is not an issue would you recommend i use High Profile and just adjust the video settings to 1280 vs the 1920? or leave at 1920? or just use the iPad preset and increase the video to 1280?

thank you sincerely for the knowledge....
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

jellegard wrote:thx for the prompt repsonse. if i have the Apple TV getting its video from a NAS via Ethernet over Cat6 is the iPad setting still too demanding?
That does nothing to address the hardware and software deficiencies of the legacy tv.
jellegard wrote:what if i spring the 99 bucks for the new one? what setting would you then choose?
There are many threads covering this, including mine.
jellegard wrote:if i bought the new Apple TV would you recommend the iPad setting even though it's 1024 vs 720?
You're confusing horizontal and vertical resolutions. Read my thread above.
jellegard wrote:what do decomb and detelecine do exactly?
Decomb invokes deinterlacing as necessary. Detelecine reverses telecine.
jellegard wrote:i'd like to modify my original post. i have broken down how/where the videos i am trying to encode in Handbrake will be viewed:

90% - iPad/27" iMac
8% - Apple TV
2% - Apple iPhone

which preset (i am using the latest nightly builds) would one use to get the highest quality and best viewing experience based upon the data above? i will be upgrading the Apple TVs this week to the latest generation.

i assume it would be the iPad setting. if that is indeed the preset i should be using i have a question on the audio settings. most of my RIPs are BluRays ripped having used MakeMKV. when ripping the discs i pull ALL English audio tracks. when i select a the iPad preset in Handbrake i get the following for audio:

0: English (DTS) (5.1 ch), AAC (Core Audio), Dolby Pro Logic II, Auto, 160

there is no 2nd audio track being populated by the preset. should i add one? if so, should i use these settings:

0: English (DTS) (5.1 ch), AC3, Stereo, Auto, 224
My thread on encoding for A4 devices answers all your questions.
jellegard wrote:if the post just prior to your in the link you provided asked about High Profile vs. iPad presets. the person says they are about the same. storage is NOT an issue for me as i have 24 terabytes. i would prefer to do this only ONCE per movie/TV Show/disc as i have A LOT of movies/TV Shows. since all the devices i will be using the Handbrak'd files on are the latest generation A4 devices (iPad, AppleTV, iPhone 4G) and storage is not an issue would you recommend i use High Profile and just adjust the video settings to 1280 vs the 1920? or leave at 1920? or just use the iPad preset and increase the video to 1280?
The difference between the two is trivial with the changes I mention. 1920 width is not supported by any of your A4 devices. 1280 is the best you can do, which is why I recommend it in my thread.
jellegard

Post by jellegard »

thank you for the GREAT response. that really breaks it down nicely/easily and helps not only myself but hopefully a lot of others. i only have two more questions and hopefully this thread will be a great "how to" for people with multiple A4 devices.

1) i am still a bit confused with the audio codecs. when i rip the BluRays with MakeMKV i am pulling the Lossless Track, the 3/2+1 track and the DD 2.0 track. when i import this .mkv file into Handbrake it seems my options for audio are constantly changing. ideally what i would like to have Handbrake end up with is the Lossless track (i understand if it's DTS Lossless i'm s.o.l.) for the AppleTV and a 2 channel track for
the A4 devices. but it seems sometimes when i pick a 5.1 track Handbrake chooses 6 channel discrete. all i want is a good multi-channel and a 2 channel file.

2) i would like to modify the iPad Preset so that the video is 1280 x 720 and save it so i don't have to modify the video setting every time i encode. i know sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow that after a few days of not using Handbrake i'll encode 5-10 rips before i realize that i forgot to change the video settings and i'll have to re-encode them all.

thanks again for the knowledge.....