Problems encoding and clsoing a H264 file?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gswhite

Problems encoding and clsoing a H264 file?

Post by gswhite »

I have always used handbrake but recently I have been experiencing a couple of issues and I was wondering if anyone here could help?

I have been trying to rip all the Harry Potter's for my kids, for AppleTV. I use MTR to rip the dvd's to a hard drive, then I use 72% CRF Constant Quality with H.264 as the video encoding setting.

I usually start the encoding late at night and in the morning I get a completed MP4 file which I can copy into iTunes.

However, recently on these movies I have found in the morning, Handbrake is closed with no application running. The Movie file has been created and is roughly the correct file size, for encode of this type, but it will not open in quicktime.

My guess is handbrake crashed somewhere near the end of the encoding process?

I have never had this problem before, and I have tried encoding every Harry Potter with the same method, and always getting the same results.

As an experiment last night I tried VisualHub, which I dont usually use as it does not support Prologic Surround.

It passed through first time and created a perfect copy of Chamber of secrets?!

So the video source is ok, what could be happening with handbrake which would cause such a crash?

Any help as always gratefully recieved.

G
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

How big was the resultant file? There's an issue with HB where it fails the multiplexing process if the movie is over 4 GB in size.
risck
Novice

Post by risck »

I know for a fact thats what the problem is the 4GB barrier...

I would love to know why HB just quits... not even letting the end user know it hit the 4GB barrier... no error message... nothing in the console.. not even a message sent off to growl.

May I suggest to wonderful developers that adding kind of error message to alert the end user to the problem encountered would probably be useful for both sides (developer and users)... developers would have to spend less time answer these questions... just an idea... which goes along with why I thing the debug log should someday output to the console.... after all the program goes poof no-debug info.
Cavalicious

Re: Problems encoding and clsoing a H264 file?

Post by Cavalicious »

gswhite wrote:I use MTR to rip the dvd's to a hard drive, then I use 72% CRF Constant Quality with H.264 as the video encoding setting.
Thats the problem. Your creating a HUGH file. Use this:

Code: Select all

./HandBrakeCLI -i <source>  -o <destination.m4v> -m  -p -2 -e x264 -b 3000  -r 23.976  -E facc  -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -v -x bframes=3:ref=1:subq=5:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:no-dct-decimate=1:trellis=2
You should fine the quality adequate.
gswhite

Post by gswhite »

risck wrote:I know for a fact thats what the problem is the 4GB barrier...

I would love to know why HB just quits... not even letting the end user know it hit the 4GB barrier... no error message... nothing in the console.. not even a message sent off to growl.

May I suggest to wonderful developers that adding kind of error message to alert the end user to the problem encountered would probably be useful for both sides (developer and users)... developers would have to spend less time answer these questions... just an idea... which goes along with why I thing the debug log should someday output to the console.... after all the program goes poof no-debug info.
Hi all, and thanks you are all correct. The file before HB crashed is 4.02GB in size.

I did not know about this 4GB limit issue, and it explains a hell of a lot regarding why some movie files are ok and others are just bombing out!

So thanks I guess I have to drop the encoding percentage to get a smaller file.

G
gswhite

Re: Problems encoding and clsoing a H264 file?

Post by gswhite »

Cavalicious wrote:
gswhite wrote:I use MTR to rip the dvd's to a hard drive, then I use 72% CRF Constant Quality with H.264 as the video encoding setting.
Thats the problem. Your creating a HUGH file. Use this:

Code: Select all

./HandBrakeCLI -i <source>  -o <destination.m4v> -m  -p -2 -e x264 -b 3000  -r 23.976  -E facc  -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -v -x bframes=3:ref=1:subq=5:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:no-dct-decimate=1:trellis=2
You should fine the quality adequate.
Thanks Cavalicious for the quote above, but have no idea what that is or how it relates to HB? I am guessing its some sort of command line execution?

It looks like you have 6 channel discrete in there and my AMP does not support 5.1 AAC, in fact I don't know of an AMP that does, but cheers for the tip.

G
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

You are correct, it is the CLI syntax for HB. If you use the GUI, its pretty much the AppleTV preset with a change to the Average Bit Rate, from 2500 to 3000. Don't worry about the 5.1, the preset (I believe) defaults to Dolby Pro Logic 2.

PS. The 5.1 ACC isn't so much for your amp, but for the AppleTV. The only thing is, for now, it dumbs it down hybrd 3.1. Hopefully future support will allow this to be converted to a supported 5.1 codec.