Preset that will play on both AppleTV and Xbox360?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
spackletoe

Preset that will play on both AppleTV and Xbox360?

Post by spackletoe »

Is there such a thing? I have a new AppleTV on order, and I have a small collection of DVDs already ripped for my Xbox360, I'm willing re-rip to make them friendly to both systems. Is that possible? And if so, what are those settings?

I tried ripping with the AppleTV setting to see if the Xbox would play it, but it did not. :(

Thanks!
spackletoe

Re: Preset that will play on both AppleTV and Xbox360?

Post by spackletoe »

Update to my own post here... tried the Apple Universal and that worked!
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

What's the major difeden between the AppleTV and Apple Universal setting? I'm looking for a decent preset for AppleTV (old one but think plays the same stuff as new one), and a PS3 etc

Cheers
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

andyloc wrote:What's the major difeden between the AppleTV and Apple Universal setting?
Universal will play on recent iPods (6G classic, iPhone, iPod touch, etc.).
andyloc wrote:I'm looking for a decent preset for AppleTV (old one but think plays the same stuff as new one)
No. The new AppleTV is more capable (720p @ 30 fps, good support for cabac, weightp and b-pyramid). The AppleTV preset is compatible with the original AppleTV. There is no "Apple 2010 Devices" preset yet.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Rodeo wrote:
andyloc wrote:What's the major difeden between the AppleTV and Apple Universal setting?
Universal will play on recent iPods (6G classic, iPhone, iPod touch, etc.).

So quality not as good then if for these devices? Compared to AppleTV preset
andyloc wrote:I'm looking for a decent preset for AppleTV (old one but think plays the same stuff as new one)
No. The new AppleTV is more capable (720p @ 30 fps, good support for cabac, weightp and b-pyramid). The AppleTV preset is compatible with the original AppleTV. There is no "Apple 2010 Devices" preset yet.
Ah thought my 1G AppleTV could do 720P?

mmm don't know what to pick now then, Apple Uni or AppleTV preset?
Deleted User 11865

andyloc wrote:Ah thought my 1G AppleTV could do 720P?
Only up to 25 fps.
andyloc wrote:mmm don't know what to pick now then, Apple Uni or AppleTV preset?
Depends on whether you need iPod compatibility. The AppleTV preset will play on any ATV (old or new) and on the PS3.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

25fps I see ok cheers

Not bothered about iPod really, I have. 3GS but thinking of getting iPhone 4 or next year model so do t want to be restricted by this, would rather do a separate encode specifically for 3GS if I wanted it for that

Cheers
Deleted User 11865

As long as you encode in SD (720x576 up to 25 fps, 720x480 up to 30 fps), the AppleTV preset is also compatible with the iPhone 3GS.
MrMister111
Enlightened

Post by MrMister111 »

Rodeo wrote:As long as you encode in SD (720x576 up to 25 fps, 720x480 up to 30 fps), the AppleTV preset is also compatible with the iPhone 3GS.
I see so chose AppleTV preset and modify the resolution to the above for the fps value?

Cheers