Near DVD quality, decent file size... possible?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gamnesia

Near DVD quality, decent file size... possible?

Post by gamnesia »

I just installed aTV Flash on my AppleTV (I recommend it for any AppleTV users) so now I have the ability to play many different file formats (.avi, .divx, .eyetv, .flv, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .ogg, .ogm, .rm, .rmvb, .wmv, .xvid) and also straight DVD rip folders. I like the full quality of the straight DVD rips, but:

1. I don't really care about having the menus and DVD structure

2. I'd like to get the file sizes down just a bit (8GB for one film is a bit much)

Just wondering if anyone knows of an encryption setup that will still produce near DVD quality but get the file size down a bit... even 75% would be nice. Thanks for any help/tips/suggestions in advance.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Near DVD quality, decent file size... possible?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Have you even tried handbrake's AppleTV preset? If so, did you think the quality was inadequate? It produces very good quality. There's also dynaflash's customized appletv preset that's been fine tuned discussed here
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... it=appletv
and here
http://dynaflashtech.net/category/appletv/
gamnesia

Post by gamnesia »

Yeah, I used the AppleTV preset before getting aTV Flash and the results are fine, but definitely not as close as I would (ideally) like to have to DVD quality. I'll check out that thread, thanks for the link.
Arcticwolf

Post by Arcticwolf »

8GB for a Handbrake video or what?

I have been using the Universal Preset a-is and get great DVD like quality on all encodes.
and theyre all under 2GB generally except for 2 1/2 hour + films

The video quality for me isnt the problem, its usually the Audio thats alittle softer than the DVD itself.
otherwise quality is about par than what iTunes movies provides (well for SD anyway).