New to MAC need Help please read?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hushpuppy7

New to MAC need Help please read?

Post by hushpuppy7 »

Hi I have purchased a mini mac which is connected to my new TV, after seing a similar set up at the Ideal Home Exhibition, where the Mac acted as a library for all CD's/DVD's/Photos etc.

I have bought a 750GB external hard drive to work along side the Mac to store all the above.

BUT having never used a Mac how do I:............................

1. I create a DVD library, I think I need to Rip the DVD's onto the Mac, so I only have the film and a picture of the cover are copied BUT what RIPPING software do I need to do this??

2. All my photos are stored on my Windows PC, how do I transfer them so I can view them in iPhotos? Or create a Photo library instead?

3. How do I create a Music library so it also shows the front cover of each album I have loaded?

Thanks very much for any and all advice BUT please keep it simple!!
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Re: New to MAC need Help please read?

Post by loyalty_anchored »

hushpuppy7 wrote: 1. I create a DVD library, I think I need to Rip the DVD's onto the Mac, so I only have the film and a picture of the cover are copied BUT what RIPPING software do I need to do this??
you can use a program like MacTheRipper to rip the data from your DVD to your mac's hard drive, then you can use HandBrake to encode that data into a smaller compressed file. (handbrake is what this whole forum is about and you will find help and instructions on doing things in manuals, this forum etc...)
hushpuppy7 wrote: 2. All my photos are stored on my Windows PC, how do I transfer them so I can view them in iPhotos? Or create a Photo library instead?
you could burn all your photos to CDR/DVDR from your windows based PC and import them into iphoto on your mac. (you can look for help with this somewhere else as this is a HandBrake specific forum, i recomend you go to an applestore and get some help there, talk to their "genious" people or whatever they call themselves)
hushpuppy7 wrote: 3. How do I create a Music library so it also shows the front cover of each album I have loaded?
again, this is "how do i use itunes"? not really a question for the HandBrake forum, there is fairly good documentation on apples website, but i would honestly go to the closest applestore you can find at a time where they are not too busy and ask one of the sales people to show you how to do a few things on one of the machines there.

you can also call apple for support directly, i do believe they will help you for the first 12 months with questions about their software and how to use their products.

i hope this points you in the right direction.
hushpuppy7

Post by hushpuppy7 »

Very many thanks