DVD Rips wrong chapters

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
justincase
Bright Spark User

DVD Rips wrong chapters

Post by justincase »

Hi, I am using the latest build of HandBrake on an Intel iMac. I'm trying to rip Lost season 4 dvds, specifically the first disc. I've ripped them with Mac the Ripper and then tried to convert them to m4v files using HandBrake. I've picked the correct titles, and the chapters, and I've verified this by looking in DVD Player to check, although you can tell by the length of them anyway, and then set it to rip. When it's done, I have the three files, one for each episode, but they are all the wrong length. For example, I'm ripping title 2, chapters 1 through 9, which HandBrake says should be 43m09s, but the file it gives me at the end is 54:00 according to QuickTime, and seems to contain chapters 5, 6, 7, and 8, even though that should be shorter than the original time, it's longer.

The total time that the disc rips should add up to is 129:25, with the files being 43:09, 43:10, and 43:06, but the rips actually add up to 129:16 with the rips being 54:00, 34:16, and 41:00.

I've tried ripping them both with libdvdnav and libdvdread, with a restart between changes, the above results and attached log are from my attempt with libdvdread, with libdvdnav the results were even worse, with the rips being 22:36, 22:26, and 19:59 with the same chapters and titles selected. The only thing I haven't tried is ripping straight from the DVD, which I am going to try tonight, but I doubt it will be the solution, I have never had this problem with HandBrake before, I generally find it to be an excellent and reliable piece of software, and I'm very puzzled as to why it's letting me down this time.
Edit: ripping straight from the DvD gives me the exact same results as stated above with the 54:00 file, so I'm fairly confident it's something I'm doing wrong in HandBrake and not something wrong in MacTheRipper

Here's the log from the encoding with libdvdnav from the MTR ripped files, I hope it's the right thing, if not I can get whatever else you need, screenshots, etc. If it makes a difference, the dvds were ripped with MTR on both a PPC G5 iMac and an Intel iMac and both gave the same error, and the discs are brand new and not damaged in any way.
http://pastebin.com/x2srKjux

Can anyone help me? Is there a known problem with these discs? I searched the forums and found a lot about seasons 1 and 5, but nothing about 4, so I suspect I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks!
justincase
Bright Spark User

Re: DVD Rips wrong chapters

Post by justincase »

Every other message has at least one other reply either suggesting something to do, or asking for another piece of information to help them, yet my lengthy typed out and detailed report hasn't even received as much as an "I don't know, that's unusual" or "I managed to rip those dvds with no problem" reply. Have I done something wrong?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

No, it just no one has bothered to look. Give it time....

[Edit:] Having said that maybe post a complete activity log. https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/ActivityLog
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Your log is filled with errors, the rip is definitely flaky. The first thing to try would be another ripper (e.g. MacDVDRipperPro) and/or straight from disc with HB & VLC.

If you did try straight from disc, please post the log for that encode too.
justincase
Bright Spark User

Post by justincase »

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks!
justincase
Bright Spark User

Post by justincase »

I ripped the disc with Mac the Ripper 4 and it worked flawlessly! Thanks for writing such a useful piece of software!