Strange incompatibilty with Die Hard 2

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hokie17

Strange incompatibilty with Die Hard 2

Post by hokie17 »

I don't think this is a zero cell issue (thus the new thread), but I have a problem to report. My previous machine was the original 1.83GHz CD MacBook, and Handbrake had no problem ripping my (Five Star Collection) copy of Die Hard 2.

I just picked up the 2.33Ghz C2D MBP and am re-ripping some stuff in H.264 (first time was just MP4). When I put in the DH2 disc and check picture settings, all the preview pictures are corrupted with massive digital artifacts and pixelation. The disc is not scratched and works in other Macs (the MB, and a G4 Mac Mini I have). The drive in this MBP is a "[Censored] DVD-R UJ-857D" according to System Profiler.

Here's the solution I hit on... I ran AnyDVD/CloneDVD in WinXP under BootCamp and ripped the audio/video_ts folders and copied them to my HFS partition (I'm running MacDrive in XP), and am currently ripping it in HB with no problem.

I wonder if this is an issue with Apple's OS X drivers for this drive that only showed up with this movie. I should say that I have all three Die Hard movies with this set, and the other two films work.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Crazy. What about Mac The Ripper, did you try that before AnyDVD?
hokie17

Post by hokie17 »

MTR would rip, but with errors, and trying to encode the results with HB would yield the same image corruption as just straight ripping from HB. This is with MTR 2.66.