Converting a series

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jkeep

Converting a series

Post by jkeep »

Hi,
I have worked out that if you want to convert a series like blackadder you
have to do them as individual episodes so takes a while.

Is there a way of converting the whole DVD at once or merging all six episodes
into one file.

Regards,

Jeff
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Converting a series

Post by TedJ »

It all depends on how the original DVD's were authored. There are two common methods to implement a "play all" feature on many series DVD's -
  • All the episodes on the disc are laid out in a single title, with the individual episodes done as separate titles that reuse chapter ranges from the jumbo title.
  • Each episode is a single title, with the "play all" handled via back end scripting.
It's easy to do the entire disc in the first case and impossible in the second.
wysinawyg

Re: Converting a series

Post by wysinawyg »

Have a look at mac.jedi's thread above. It has a very handy Apple Script that will scan a DVD rip for all tracks which are within a certain track range. So for a 30 minute show (22 ish minute episodes without ads) you can set it to encode everything between 20 and 30 minutes long on the disc.

That will very quickly get you lots of neatly numbered files.

A bit of a hassle to set up (and I've since decided I prefer Ripit for ripping as it seems more reliable than the Fairmount solution in mac.jedi's thread) and a bit of a pain if you want proper control over the handbrake settings but well worth looking at nonetheless.