Deja Vu audio issue

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
HomeVideoSYS

Deja Vu audio issue

Post by HomeVideoSYS »

I tried to use the new version of Handbrake 0.8.5b1 to rip Deja Vu. I note others are having an issue like I did.

When using 0.8.5b1 on the disc you get a file with no audio starting variably at some point in the film until the end.
I found what I think is the only solution.

First rip with MTR, I used the latest r14d, and be sure to choose the 2 hour 5 min file. Select only the top audio selection (the other is the audio track for the director comments). You will get a 4.44 GB folder, although it will say you should get an almost 7GB floder.

The use the last version of Handbrake, 0.7.1. If you use 0.8.5b1 you will get the same issue as before.

What's interesting is that any MTR file you get by any method will give you folders that Mac OS X DVD Player will play fine audio all the way through. It seems that you need to froce the MTR output to have only the one AC3 audio track to get the rip perfect.

Hope this helps someone.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Re: Deja Vu audio issue

Post by cbud »

HomeVideoSYS wrote:I tried to use the new version of Handbrake 0.8.5b1 to rip Deja Vu. I note others are having an issue like I did.

When using 0.8.5b1 on the disc you get a file with no audio starting variably at some point in the film until the end.
I found what I think is the only solution.

First rip with MTR, I used the latest r14d, and be sure to choose the 2 hour 5 min file. Select only the top audio selection (the other is the audio track for the director comments). You will get a 4.44 GB folder, although it will say you should get an almost 7GB floder.

The use the last version of Handbrake, 0.7.1. If you use 0.8.5b1 you will get the same issue as before.

What's interesting is that any MTR file you get by any method will give you folders that Mac OS X DVD Player will play fine audio all the way through. It seems that you need to froce the MTR output to have only the one AC3 audio track to get the rip perfect.

Hope this helps someone.
Wrong!!

0.8.5b1 works fine with this DVD (post MTR).
HomeVideoSYS

Post by HomeVideoSYS »

I'm not makin this up. Out of the box 0.8.5b1 was not able to process the DVD direct or after a straight feature only rip. All attempts failed. Furthermore, if set to 2 pass the first pass processes at about 70fps on a original 2ghz dual G5 tower and the second pass averages about 7 fps and the output is always the same. Somewhere either at 20 minutes in or more often the last 10 minutes the audio is gone. On one attempt with the original disc the director comment audio becam the soundtrack half way through then still lost the audio at the last 20 minutes. The disc is new and has no scratches and plays on my mac adn my set top DVD players, and old onkyo top end and a cheapo new no name.

Both MTR and HB bot pick the wrong track as the movie, always choosing the longest which is the director's comments track, and after processing that with HB the audio was really screwed up. I tried at least 5 times to get this right with HB and another 5 with post MTR processing. For me it took the above tip to work. In all cases the Mac DVD software could play the MTR folders but HB failed.

Bottom line, this disc con't work without MTR. And some are having an audio issue, read other posts. My tip should solve it for those who need it. Hopefully HB can be tweaked to address this latest ArcCos issue as more discs will be out with this latest iteration of DRM for DVDs.

My rig is a 2hz original dual, stock pioneer superdrive, 2.5GB ram, 2 Fast half empty HDs. I ripped King of Scotland and Night at the Museum with no issue over the weekend.
Cavalicious

Re: Deja Vu audio issue

Post by Cavalicious »

cbud wrote:
Wrong!!

0.8.5b1 works fine with this DVD (post MTR).
I'm with him on this one...I'm having the same issue and I'm way beyond 0.8.5b1.

But I'm not sure why this is in "Bug" !? You're not suppose to be able to rip heavily protected DVDs with HB. Thats what MTR is for. BUT, I still can't encode, so gave up after 4 days.

I think you got lucky cbud.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

This might be an Intel/PPC issue. Are you using an Intel machine? I use a PPC.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

cbud wrote:This might be an Intel/PPC issue. Are you using an Intel machine? I use a PPC.
Yes, I am running on a C2D, but I dis-proved the Intel vs. Other deal long ago when I was having similar issues on my G4.

...but hey, you never know!?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Deja Vu works fine with 0.8.5b1 for me. I ripped first using Full Disk extraction with the latest mtr beta. No audio issues. except the as noted teh longest track is the directors commentary, had to pick the next shorter one.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Cavalicious wrote:
cbud wrote:This might be an Intel/PPC issue. Are you using an Intel machine? I use a PPC.
Yes, I am running on a C2D, but I dis-proved the Intel vs. Other deal long ago when I was having similar issues on my G4.

...but hey, you never know!?
Yeah, I remember that, but that was for Man on Fire right, which you extracted with MTR (main feature)? The Intel/PPC thing might only present with certain DVDs. I don't have an Intel machine, but maybe one of you could try Deja Vu on a PPC?

I don't think my ability to encode this DVD with 0.8.5b1 is luck, there must be reason.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

dynaflash wrote:Deja Vu works fine with 0.8.5b1 for me. I ripped first using Full Disk extraction with the latest mtr beta. No audio issues. except the as noted teh longest track is the directors commentary, had to pick the next shorter one.
You are PPC, right?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

nope, intel
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

dynaflash wrote:Deja Vu works fine with 0.8.5b1 for me. I ripped first using Full Disk extraction with the latest mtr beta. No audio issues. except the as noted teh longest track is the directors commentary, had to pick the next shorter one.
Bra, I've tried EVERYTHING!

Full Disk with MTR 3r14d
with AND without running through DTOX2 (to correct 26 mastering issues)
then using HBCLI r579 (10May Source build)

Code: Select all

./HandBrakeCLI -i /New\ Downloads/dejavuus16x9WS/ -o /New\ Downloads/dejavuWS.mp4 -t 1 -a 1 -p -m -e x264 -b 3000 -2 -r 23.976 -E facc -B 160 -R 44.1 -6 6ch -v
I continually get audio drops.
Confused Amused

Post by Confused Amused »

Cavalicious wrote:Bra I've tried EVERYTHING!
Urban Dictionary wrote: 1. Dude Bra
A male, usually ranging in age anywhere from 14-late 20's, who is a tremendous douchebag. You'll catch him on anyday of the week dressed to the nines in the "high fashion" of hollister/ american eagle "awesome" sexual innuendo t-shirts/ abercrombie probably in huge jeans with gigantic holes in them. Possibly wearing a pooka shell necklace, or a torn up college hat with either fishhooks or beer bottle caps adorning it around the bill. listens to: dave mathews band, hoobastank, incubas, linkin park, kenny chesney, and his sister's avril lavigne cd when no one else is around. Is completley unaware of his own douchebag nature, loves to get drunk and shout the words to songs he doesnt know. Still under the impression that he maintains some type of cred bc he still thinks greenday is really underground. also found in large quantities lingering around frat houses, slipping roofies into drunk chicks drinks.

dude bra, im so drunk right now, i love you man, id [Censored] you if you were a chick, youre hair is kind of long though, so.. good enough for me bra!
Confused Amused

On a more serious note I recently did a Full-Disk rip and encode, but I haven't watched the movie yet. I need to double check if mine is effed up too though.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

I will double check sound a the end of that encode, but my significant other watched it on the atv and didnt say anything about a problem.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

As an update (of sorts)

The Pursuit of Happiness has the same "Protections" as Deja Vu, but I was able to encoded it without an issue.

I don't know what the deal is (besides possible bad/worse mastering issues), but there are a lot of folks having issues with Deja Vu.

At this point I'm curious as to the issue, not really so much getting the proper encode.

...I'm Deja Vu done!
Confused Amused

I had done a full-disk rip with MTR and my encode seems ok. Might wanna try a few more times though. On a few movies I've encoded I've seen the sound dropout program, but if I try it again with the exact same options sometimes I'll get a full audio track. Weird.
petvas
Experienced

Post by petvas »

I had the same issues with Deja Vu and I solved them by encoding from the command line. Deja Vu works ok now.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

petvas wrote:I had the same issues with Deja Vu and I solved them by encoding from the command line. Deja Vu works ok now.
CLI rocks ! but why do we have a second thread about audio drops? dont we have an already massive one to add to ?

not that its my place, im just surprised that this thread hasnt been closed yet. i am one of those who can contest that using CLI to encode movies that dropped audio in GUI has worked 100%.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

I guess for a second I thought we were on to something. I tend not to believe in magic or voodoo, there is usually a cause for an effect.
Confused Amused

Another vote for the CLI from me, but in my example of trying the encode multiple times and getting different results (some with audio, some with drops) I used the CLI each time. In general though you'll get better results using it.