Automate Avi to MP4/M4V

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Knersis

Automate Avi to MP4/M4V

Post by Knersis »

Hi Guys,

Ok, I'm very new to AppleScript but I've been trying to automate the conversion of some AVI files to mp4/m4v files using folder actions on my mac.

I have attached the below script to a folder, when I copy one file into the tagged folder it works fine. When I copy lets say 3 or 4 files it will only process the first file copied in and never do anything with the others. I'm copying the files over the network so they take a while to all get into the folder.

If someone can maybe point in the direction to fix this, or fix my Script :-)

on adding folder items to convertFolder after receiving filesToConvert
repeat with i from 1 to number of items in filesToConvert
set fileToConvert to item i of filesToConvert

set fileNameToConvert to POSIX path of fileToConvert
--display dialog fileNameToConvert

--display dialog POSIX path of fileToConvert

tell application "Finder"
set fileName to name of fileToConvert

set newFileName to text 1 thru ((offset of "." in fileName) - 1) of fileName & ".mp4"
end tell

do shell script "/Applications/HandBrakeCLI -i '" & fileNameToConvert & "' -o '/Users/bob/Desktop/AppleTV Files/" & newFileName & "' -f mp4 --loose-anamorphic -e x264 -q 20 -a 1 -E faac -6 auto -R 48 -B 160 -D 0.0 -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightb=0:trellis=0:weightp=0 -v 1"

do shell script "mv '" & fileNameToConvert & "' '/Users/bob/Desktop/Movies to Write/'"

end repeat
end adding folder items to
Chris_BBR
Novice

Re: Automate Avi to MP4/M4V

Post by Chris_BBR »

Your AppleScript looks okay to me, and the fact that your first file processes correctly makes me wonder if the delay in copying across the network is causing a folder action or AppleScript timeout on the subsequent files.

To check, try repackaging your script as a droplet, and drag'n'drop your files onto the droplet after they've finished coying across from network.

This is the format that works for me:

Code: Select all

on open filesToConvert
repeat with i from 1 to the count of filesToConvert
set fileToConvert to item i of filesToConvert
end repeat
end open
In Script Editor, save the script as an application (uncheck 'Run Only', Startup Screen' and 'Stay Open').

Cheers, Chris
Knersis

Post by Knersis »

Ok, Will have a look into that creating a droplet then.

What I have noticed is that if I copy for example 4 files over the network to my desktop, then just move them into the folder with the action attached it works fine. So from that I do agree with your assumption that it's getting a timeout.

My other option is to create a script that I can select a couple of files in Finder and then execute the script against the selection.
Chris_BBR
Novice

Post by Chris_BBR »

Or have your current script check that the files have finished copying into your target folder before you send them to HB.

Cheers, Chris