Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? CCExtractor MP4box ?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TimeMachine

Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? CCExtractor MP4box ?

Post by TimeMachine »

I just encoded an episode from Dexter Season 1 DVDs + closed caption in .m4v with Hanbrake 0.9.4

The result is perfect. I can turn on / off the closed caption transformed in subtitles as i wanted.

Now my question is :

Can I edit the subtitles file coming with my .m4v ?

If I open it with Quicktime Pro, I can "extract" the Subtitles part but it will just play on its own window.

No way to see the text as a text and edit it ... or am I missing something ?

Is there a way to extract them, edit them, and put the new one in the .m4v ?

I tried Subler or Jubler, but they just deal with .srt ...

All I have is that hanbrake file, .m4v with these soft subtitles in it .. that I want to edit .

Thank you so much for any advices.

ps... just found CCExtractor .. it can rip CC from DVDS ... export in .srt so i would be able to edit the subtitles and encore that .srt with my .m4v ... gonna try
Last edited by TimeMachine on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
TimeMachine

Re: Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ?

Post by TimeMachine »

MP4box would be able to help me ?

As it's a CLI ... what am i supposed to type as command to extract the 3GPP text file and convert it to .srt ?

with such tools, i'm totally lost =(
TimeMachine

Re: Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? MP4box ?

Post by TimeMachine »

Could someone explain me how to use CCextractor on Mac ?

http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/

I have no idea how to use it

Its the only way i found to extract Closed Caption from DVD ... export to .srt ..

So i can edit it ... then put that srt file with my Handbrake .m4v

but ...

No idea about how to configure or use that CCextractor =(

Help

Thank you
ccjensen

Re: Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? CCExtractor MP4box ?

Post by ccjensen »

I have used D-Vision:
http://www.objectifmac.com/dvision.php
before to extract subtitles from dvds
TimeMachine

Re: Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? CCExtractor MP4box ?

Post by TimeMachine »

Thanks for the advices about D-Subtitler.

I use it too when it comes to subtitles from DVD.

CCextractor is about CLOSED CAPTION (CC) on DVDs. They are not the same as subtitles who are just images ... CC is really text ...

And CC extractor is really what i need ... but ... i have no idea how to use it ... i have downloaded it .. and i have that SHELL command .. but i dont know what am i supposed to do with it .. i never used the terminal ...

=(

On the page from CCExtractor they say extraction is made in 40 seconds... its very quick to extract CC .. not like subtitles who are images , not text ... DSubtitler has to use a OCR to recognize every letter as they are images not text.

With CC its really text captured ...

And that's what i'd like to edit once in .srt (CCExtractor turns CC into a .srt file) so i can mix that .srt file with Handbrake 0.9.4 and my .m4v ...

But again, thanks for your answer =)
bob6969

Re: Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? CCExtractor MP4b

Post by bob6969 »

Hey pal,

Don't know if you've found a solution to your problem yet, but I think I that the solution to edit subtitles already in an .m4v file involves a few pieces of software:

QT Pro
tsMuxer
TextEdit
Subler

Open the .m4v with QT Pro and save it as a new file (separate from the original- I would keep the original intact, as it's necessary later)
What you're doing is saving the file as a .mov file.

Then open the .mov file with tsMuxer, and select the subtitle track only (tick box) and select the "DeMux" option. This should demux the .srt track from the .mov file. (you can delete the .mov file as it's no longer needed)

Then open the .srt file with TextEdit and make the changes you want to the file and save the changes in the original file ("save" NOT "save as")

Finally, Open the original .m4v file in Subler, delete the unwanted subtitle track from the .m4v file and then add the new edited .srt file.

Click save, and the new subtitle track is in the .m4v file!

The End.
TimeMachine

Re: Edit subtitles in .m4v handbrake file ? CCExtractor MP4b

Post by TimeMachine »

Doesnt let me open the .mov file in TsMuxer =(