MP4 <--> M4V

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
macgebruiker

MP4 <--> M4V

Post by macgebruiker »

I have made an own profile. I used the High Profile, changed MKV to MP4, X264 -> FFmpeg, set the "constant quality" to 100%, no checking in prefs of "iTunes friendly". Using HB Version 0.9.4 x86_64 (2009112300).

Sometimes it generates a MP4 file and sometimes M4V. This happens when I use the exact same DVD a 2nd time.

I prefer ,MP4. Is there a way to fix this?
ccjensen

Re: MP4 <--> M4V

Post by ccjensen »

the two file containers are identical, so you can just change the m4v's to mp4's. Bear in mind though that some apple products require the m4v file extension for such things as chapters.

No idea why the same movie encoded twice with the same settings would create a different file extension...
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

In the absence of the "iTunes friendly" option, the .m4v suffix will be used if your encode has an AC3 passthrough track, embedded chapters or soft subtitles.
macgebruiker

Post by macgebruiker »

Thanks all for clearing this up.
kidtreo

Post by kidtreo »

Hello,

Why does Handbrake ONLY allow transcoding to M4v or MP4? These are difficult formats to edit with and further, I've experienced strange debillitating video and audio corruption that only shows on some computers and not on others causing an enormous amount of frustration.

Truthfully, I need to transcode DVD's to a better more stable and reliable format...any suggestions on a different app - or ways to do this with HB?

Thank you!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Because Handbrake was never intended to be used for preparing assets for editing? As is mentioned in the FAQ, Handbrake is a poor tool for the job and there are many alternatives... I've personally used MPEG Streamclip, Cinematize Pro and avidemux to name a few.