Handbrake : normal and high profile

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Fil de Brume

Handbrake : normal and high profile

Post by Fil de Brume »

Hi,
there is something I don't understand, if I choose normal or high profile, what is the difference ? I mean, the average bitrate is 1500 in normal, and 1800 in high, but the radio button does not change and stays on constant quality at 60.78%.

So what is the difference between normal and high profile in the new handbrake version?

Thanks
ascianti

Re: Handbrake : normal and high profile

Post by ascianti »

high profile turns on more whiz-bangs in x264 which make the encoding take longer, but the file sizes are smaller. High profile videos are less compatible with some portable devices (especially old ones) and low-powered computers/players.

Constant quality does what it says ... it keeps the same quality level throughout the encode, so a normal and high profile encode at the same constant quality setting do two things
1) normal is faster
2) high profile is smaller.
Size/speed tradeoff applies as usual.
Fil de Brume

Post by Fil de Brume »

Thanks.

As I have an issue with handbrake, a video encoded in high profile in h264 runs good on my computer, but when I stream the video to a playstation 3, I have sound issued, the sound is not good with the picture, a few seconds later.

Any idea why and how I can fix this?
ascianti

Post by ascianti »

Why: Some kind of compatibility issue between high-profile and the ps3 (a guess)
You can search the devices section of the forum for ps3 settings.
Franko77

Post by Franko77 »

Fil de Brume wrote:Thanks.

As I have an issue with handbrake, a video encoded in high profile in h264 runs good on my computer, but when I stream the video to a playstation 3, I have sound issued, the sound is not good with the picture, a few seconds later.

Any idea why and how I can fix this?
I've had similar issues as well so I just decided to transfer the file to the PS3 itself and played it. Problem solved.