0.9.4 & Forced Subtitles only......

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hogfan

0.9.4 & Forced Subtitles only......

Post by hogfan »

I recently upgraded to Handbrake 0.9.4 after using 0.9.3 for 100+ DVD --> MKV conversions without problems with forced subtitles. I had created a custom preset that included the subtitle setting "Automatically Select" & "Forced Only" option.

The subtitle options have been much improved in 0.9.4, and I read through the documentation on the options but am still a bit confused. I also believe the up until this point all subtitles for foregin language scenes in movies that have encoded have been within the video stream on the DVD (burned in). I am now having problems converting my copy of Angels & Demons to .MKV with the subtitles. My first encode failed simply because I did not notice my preset changed with the 0.9.4 upgrade, and subtitles "none" was selected. Towards the beginning of the movie, forced subtitles are used for a very few lines of foreign language spoken in the "research lab scene". My question, what is a good baseline set of options I should use to ensure that only forced subtitles get encoded into my .MKV container? I believe I will need to select "Foreign Language Audio Search", and check the "forced only" box. However, I am confused in regards to the "burned in" & "default" check boxes. I believe the "default" check box selects the default subtitle stream during playback of the .MKV file? Regarding the "burned in" option, I only want to display these forced only subtitles when a foreign language is spoken in a movie. Other than that, I will never have subtitles on. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to burning these subtitles into the video stream? Like I said, I only want the forced subtitles when a language other than English is spoken in a movie, and I will only need the English Forced subs. I am starting my encodes with original DVD source files and encoding to the .MKV format for playback on XBMC Media Center with the following settings:

Video: h.264 at 1500 Average Bitrate w/ 2-pass
Audio: AC3 5.1 or DTS Passthrough
Subs: I wanted forced subs only, and I don't care if they are a separate stream or burned in, whichever is better for my purposes described above

Thanks for any help on this. It is much appreciated. Missing forced subs ruins the movie and forces a re-encode.

-hogfan
hogfan

Re: 0.9.4 & Forced Subtitles only......

Post by hogfan »

I did some additional searching on this issue and learned how the "Foreign Audio Search" feature works. My other questions is if I have "Foreign Audio Search" selected, and I have "Forced Only" checked, what will happen if none of the subtitle tracks have forced flags? If the there is a full subtitle track that only has subs in foreign language scenes that are not forced, will Handbrake automatically disable "Forced Only" and still select the appropriate subtitle track, even though it is a non-forced subtitle stream? thanks.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

hogfan wrote:I did some additional searching on this issue and learned how the "Foreign Audio Search" feature works. My other questions is if I have "Foreign Audio Search" selected, and I have "Forced Only" checked, what will happen if none of the subtitle tracks have forced flags? If the there is a full subtitle track that only has subs in foreign language scenes that are not forced, will Handbrake automatically disable "Forced Only" and still select the appropriate subtitle track, even though it is a non-forced subtitle stream? thanks.
Yes. If Foreign Audio Search doesn't find any subtitle track with forced flags, it looks for subtitle tracks with a duration under 10% of the movie's total duration.
wisenheimer

Post by wisenheimer »

@ hogfan
I have the EXACT same confusion as you in post #1. The guide did not help me. If I want English subtitles for foreign dialogue to automatically display, do I just check "Foreign Audio Search" and "Forced Only", or do they need to be burned in? I could not find the explanation of how this all works that you alluded to in post #2.
Deleted User 11865

First of all, Foreign Audio Search is partially broken in 0.9.4. Try the snapshot: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13969

Then, whether you choose "burned in" or not depends on the container. With MP4, you have no choice (the subs will be burned in), with MKV, it's up to you to decide whether you want soft subs (not burned in) or if you prefer the subs burned in the video.
wisenheimer

Post by wisenheimer »

I'm talking about mkv.

I guess I am confused as to what each step does. Can you clarify the difference between "Foreign Audio Search", "Forced Only" and "Burned In"?

I've got a handle on other types of subtitles, but the the foreign type eludes me.
Deleted User 11865

wisenheimer wrote:Can you clarify the difference between "Foreign Audio Search", "Forced Only" and "Burned In"?
I'm not sure how I can clarify the difference between 3 options that aren't mutually exclusive.
wisenheimer

Post by wisenheimer »

Can you explain each of them and tell how they are used in conjunction with each other?
Deleted User 11865

wisenheimer

Post by wisenheimer »

And now we've come full circle. That was the wiki page that did not help me to begin with.

I get that you can add the foreign subtitle track. What does the "forced only" accomplish? And does that cause them to pop up on their own, or do they have to be burned in?

I guess it would be easiest to ask it this way: How must I set this to have foreign subtitles work exactly as they would in a movie theater? Meaning, when someone speaks in a foreign language, and there is an accompanying subtitle, it displays on the screen.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

You really can't. If I understand correctly, you aren't being dragged to an arthouse theater by your wife and being forced to watch an asian hill farmer romance with all subtitles (with the hope of seeing at least a glimpse of foreign T & A), but you simply want Jabba the Hut's subtitles to pop-up when he's the got the 'I'm not coked out of my head yet' Leia lying next to him?

It's like people have tried to explain - it's not that simple. Sometimes there is a subtitle track that is always on and only has a few subs burned in. Sometimes it is an english track that has the forced subtitle flag next to some of the subs, thus selecting not only the correct track, but using the forced only button. I've run into a few (mostly TV shows) where the subs are burned in - period. In this case, you don't do [Censored].

The way to do it (besides simply downloading the SVN, selecting 'foreign audio search, and let it do it's thing - assuming you're like me and it's an Apple product you're playing this on; thus .m4v and auto-burned in) is to find a chapter of the movie that contains a subtitle you want using DVD player, then experiment with your different options. Don't know if it even has subtitles? Well, that's why Foreign Audio Search was added to begin with. It's just currently broken....
wisenheimer

Post by wisenheimer »

You're exactly correct. The Jabba reference is perfect. I am just confused as to what the different check boxes mean/do. I guess I'll keep huntin' and pokin' and see if I can figure it out. I like your idea of finding the chapter, first, and then experimenting.... it just seems like an exhausting process. Thanks for the response!
Deleted User 11865

Foreign Audio Search + Forced only will work for most movies (something like 95-99%). Unless you use 0.9.4 of course (see my previous post).