PS3 into High Profile?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Ralphman21

PS3 into High Profile?

Post by Ralphman21 »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Handbrake and am a bit confused about the new update. I was previously encoding my videos with the "PS3" preset with forced subtitles on. Since the new update I have tried a few using the "High Profile" preset and like both the picture quality and the file size. My question is.. Can I take my mp4 files created from the PS3 preset and convert them using the "High Profile". Is this possible? I am hoping to achieve nearly the same quality while reducing the file size. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph
Deleted User 11865

Re: PS3 into High Profile?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Maybe (the files may or may not turn out smaller). In any case, you're better off using the original source if possible.
Ralphman21

Post by Ralphman21 »

Thanks for the response!

So i tried a few, and the file size was cut in half, however there is a noticeable difference in quality, when played on a large screen. (Which was somewhat expected).

I guess this means i'll have to re-encode the dvds. Unless there is a way to maintain the quality.??

One more question... In the older version of handbrake I would change the m4v files to mp4 and they would play fine on both my mac and my ps3. However, when i change them now I get "An invalid sample description was found in the movie", when trying to play the file in quicktime. The mp4 does work on the ps3. Will I have to make two copies of the file so that it can play on both systems?

Thanks for the help.
Deleted User 11865

When you say QuickTime, do you mean QuickTime X?
Ralphman21

Post by Ralphman21 »

Im not using quicktime X. I am using Version 7.6.4 (518.35) Is this the problem?
Perhaps the version I am running doesn't support the new "mp4" extension?
Has something changed within the new version of HB that would result in that error, previously switching the extension seemed to do the trick.
Deleted User 11865

Ralphman21 wrote:Im not using quicktime X. I am using Version 7.6.4 (518.35) Is this the problem?
Perhaps the version I am running doesn't support the new "mp4" extension?
Has something changed within the new version of HB that would result in that error, previously switching the extension seemed to do the trick.
Your encode probably has an AC3 track, in which case your files needs to have the .m4v extension to open in QuickTime. If that doesn't work, we'll need to see the encode log for one of the files that don't open in QuickTime.