Simply want to copy my own DVD: having trouble

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MACMAP

Simply want to copy my own DVD: having trouble

Post by MACMAP »

I have a brand new iMac and am new to Macs in general. Very new to Handbrake. I simply want to copy some homemade video saved on a DVD to another DVD.
So, I managed to get the video files to my desktop. (In a folder called VIDEO_TS.) Now what? I inserted a blank DVD into the mac and clicked "burn." But it keeps asking me to insert a blank DVD. Why? (It's a blank Sony DVD-R which can hold 4.7 GB.) Not sure what is going on.
Help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
MP
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

Insert your original DVD, and open DiskUtility (in the Applications > Utilities folder). Select your DVD icon on the left and click 'new image', then select CD/DVD master as a format. Your DVD will be copied to a .cdr image file that will appear on the left in DiskUtility when it's finished. Eject the DVD, insert an empty DVD. Select the .cdr image file and clik the 'burn' icon.

If you have Toast, just insert the DVD and use the copy tab, you will be asked to insert a blank DVD at the right moment.

If you just try to burn a copied video_ts folder using OSX built-in burner, it could be unplayable on your DVD player.

HandBrake is not designed for what you're trying to do, it converts DVDs to another format.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Good answer.... Nice job...

:lol:
MACMAP

Post by MACMAP »

Whimpers,
Thanks. Your instructions are perfect. Works great.
MP