Problems with Star Trek

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Joe Marine

Problems with Star Trek

Post by Joe Marine »

Ripped the new Star Trek with MTR 3.0 (Title Set Only, Title 09). Watched the entire movie with Apple DVD player. Worked fine. No errors with playback

Went to convert it with Handbrake. When source loaded the video time length showed 2hr 6min. When conversion is finished, movie length is 180 minutes, out of order and repeated several scenes. How is this possible.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Problems with Star Trek

Post by TedJ »

http://forum.handbrake.fr/search.php?st ... =star+trek

If I had a dollar for every time someone used forum search, I still couldn't afford a cup of bad coffee...
dummydummy

Post by dummydummy »

you might add that for europe region 2 it seems the title no. 19 to be the correct one.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

dummydummy wrote:you might add that for europe region 2 it seems the title no. 19 to be the correct one.
On my R2 copy of Star Trek, it's title 28 (I live in Europe too).

Posting "for this version, it's title foo" is useless. There are so many editions and figuring out which title it is is so easy (just play in a DVD palyer or DVD player application and take note of the title).
dummydummy

Post by dummydummy »

Yes,
that may be true if you do have a dvd player. Some people dont.
In this case its less effort to rip two or three times instead of guessed 70 times, isnt it?
(By the way, as I wrote "it seems to be" one could think that this statement isnt predicted for holding universality).
With regards.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

They don't need one. Any software DVD player should suffice. VLC for example would do.
MedMich

Post by MedMich »

The easiest way with these DVDs that have multiple spurious titles is to play the disc or image using a software DVD player and determine the correct title number that way, in MAC the built in application does a fine job. Having said that however, I ran into few movies that I couldn't get DVD Player to play on the computer period. The Proposal and Hanna Montana come to mind as two that I could not play and therefore determine the correct title this way. In this case I evolved the following algorithm:
1. Find the movie length form the DVD cover, the internet, what ever. Say it is 02:06 (hh:mm)
2. Find the titles that come closest to the movie time but not over it. Handbrake uses hh:mm:ss. There will be few titles that meet this spec say 4 or 5.
3. Preview or encode the first and last chapter of each of these titles (for example title 19, 37. 78, etc). The correct title will have the opening credits as Chapter 1, and the closing credit in the last chapter and this is the one to encode. It is highly unlikely that a spurious title will have that.
Hope this is helpful
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

dummydummy wrote:Yes,
In this case its less effort to rip two or three times instead of guessed 70 times, isnt it?
(By the way, as I wrote "it seems to be" one could think that this statement isnt predicted for holding universality).
With regards.
So you have a Mac (remember, you are posting in the Mac subforum) but you don't have Apple's DVD player application? I suggest you fix your Mac OS X installation first, before attempting to encode a DVD.

Note that Mac OS X Leopard (or Snow Leopard) come standard with Apple's DVD Player application, and all Leopard-capable Macs feature a DVD drive.
baggss

Post by baggss »

This may help. I posted it in this thread: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... hic#p66255
baggss wrote:
The correct title, for the US version, is 21 and that's what you should tell HB to rip.

Open STAR TREK in the OSX DVD player. When it gets past all of the opening junk and the movie actually starts playing, click on the DVD player floating window where it has the time counting. in that window,where the numbers are counting the time of the movie, you will see the word TITLE (NOT the title button on the right side of the floating Window). If you click on the word title it should change the display from the time of the movie, to the time remaining, click it again and it should say 21/99. This tells you there are 99 titles on the disc (which you HB scanning though when it reads the DVD) and that title 21 is the actual movie playing. Now you know which title to have HB rip to get the real movie. You can use this method on other (newer) DVDs where there are lots of titles and you can't tell which one is the actual real movie.

The attached graphic may help: