Handbrake freezes my mac

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
its_n8o

Handbrake freezes my mac

Post by its_n8o »

Hi everyone,

I am running a G5 PowerMac with handbrake 0.9.3 and after I finish encoding in handbrake, I cannot eject the DVD. I try everything, like ejecting in toast, drutil in terminal, relaunching finder.. eventually the computer freezes and the dock/menubar become unresponsive. I cannot eject the disc unless I restart. I cannot even restart properly, I have to hold down power.

I have tried the following to get it to work:
- Installed applejack and run it (repaired permissions etc)
- Reset PRAM
- Reinstalled OS X (10.5)

I have changed my DVD drive lately to a DVR118L from a DVR107D Pioneer drive.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem was and how/IF I could fix it?

Thanks.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake freezes my mac

Post by rhester »

It is almost certainly a heat issue. Does it happen more frequently when ripping longer titles? (To ask another way, if you rip only a single small chapter, do you see the same behavior?)

Rodney
its_n8o

Post by its_n8o »

Thanks for the reply Rodney,

I've never tried doing short-bursts like that, usually just 2 or 3 titles at once. I'll give it a go now and let you know how it turns out.
Would the heat issue be with the DVD burner? As my old 107D had no such issue with long rip/encodes in handbrake?

Thanks again.

EDIT:

I tried doing one chapter and it worked perfectly, I could eject the disc no worries. Now I guess the question is how do I stop the overheating?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

It is likely the CPU that is overheating. In any event, I'd recommend service through AppleCare, explaining that when the CPU is fully utilized for extended periods of time (such as video conversion) your Mac overheats and crashes.

Rodney
rumbers

Post by rumbers »

I have exactly the same problem... MacPro1.1, Dual Core 3GHz, 4gb ram, with a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D. OS is 10.6.4.
It happens exactly as you say...unless I eject the disk within about 10 seconds of the encoding finishing (before the drive spins down), the entire machine locks and nothing will eject the disk. If I do eject the disc quickly, I can do back to back rips all day with no problem. Wait 30 seconds, and the DVD drive is completely unresponsive.

Like you, I have to manually hold down the power button to reset. Interesting that we have completely different systems but the same problem!
Wish I could find a solution. I end up turning the volume way up so that if I've gone away from the mac I can hear when it's finished and run back to eject!!

Mat
Null

Post by Null »

Sorry, I doubt this is a heat issue.

I've been using Handbrake with a 2006 MacPro 1,1 with no issues. I use it only for conversion, never ripping.

I have a brand new MacPro5,1 Installed Handbrake. Now, whenever Handbrake is running my Mac freezes. Handbrake doesn't even have to be doing anything all, just sittung there launched and it will cause my entire system to freeze after 5 or 10 minutes. Without handbrake launched I can do anything without issue. Including using MediaFork or VisualHub to convert files. It's only Handbrake that is causing the freezes.

I've trashed prefs, reinstalled, still Handbrake freezes my entire system.
rumbers

Post by rumbers »

I've now identified that Handbrake isn't the culprit... Using Mactheripper I have exactly the same issue. As soon as the drive spins down, around 20 seconds + after the rip, the whole system freezes and the drive won't eject.

Apologies Handbrake for naming you as the culprit. Something very strange happening, but Handbrake it isn't....
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Since it's post-encode it doesn't sound like a heat issue nor a HB. Just Apple's [censored] platform engineering.