Severe blocking/pixelization on Apple TV w/ HB

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
icfantv

Severe blocking/pixelization on Apple TV w/ HB

Post by icfantv »

I wish I'd caught this sooner rather than having to trash 44 ripped movies. Somewhere between 08 NOV and 12 NOV a change was made somewhere that's causing every movie I rip to have really bad blocking and pixelization at spots in movies, meaning at other times the picture is great. It's always the same spots when I play it back on either of my two Apple TVs. I've tried copying the movie to the Apple TV instead of streaming, and also playing with the resolution output but that doesn't change anything.

The REALLY weird thing is that these M4Vs play just fine in iTunes on my iMac so I have no idea what's causing the blocking and pixelization. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions. As of now my DVD library ripping has come to a screeching halt.

Thanks,

--adam
icfantv

Re: Severe blocking/pixelization on Apple TV w/ HB

Post by icfantv »

UGH! Moving to Mac section....stupid, stupid, stupid...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

weightp=0 in your x264 options will solve your issues (but you'll have to reencode everything).
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

OOOOh, thanks! I tried w/ the 08 OCT version of HB on my MP pro and it worked fine, but the same rip on the latest SVN of HB still produced the pixelizations. I'll try again w/ the latest w/ that option. Is there a config file I can edit to make that part of the default for the Applet TV preset?

Also, i noticed you locked this thread in the Mac tech support section, do you want to add a link to refer everyone to this thread?

Thanks,

--adam
kand

Post by kand »

I can confirm this effect. I also have massive artifacts in the video especially under low light conditions. Also the file size dropped about 50%.
Everything tested with the AppleTV preset.

regards kand
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Problem is known, solution is known - simply add weightp=0 to your advanced x264 options.
icfantv

Post by icfantv »

i can confirm that adding this extra option fixes the pixelization and blocking. thanks guys!

--a