AAC audio out....

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Jeff

AAC audio out....

Post by Jeff »

Ok, I give up.
Macbook Pro, optical out. JVC digital HDMI receiver.

I've been able to play DVD's thru my optical out to my JVC digital receiver without a problem. I get all the surround channels correctly. When I rip my DVD's using the latest Handbrake, I don't get the surround channels to play.
I've tried both Quicktime, which from what I've read may have some limitations with passing AAC thru the optical, and also VLC player wich is supposed to work. I can see by viewing the ripped files that the channels are present.
But they don't play, I get stereo only. I've researched this both here on on the VLC forums but have not come accross an answer. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Jeff
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

This is fully explained in HandBrake's documentation.

You cannot send 5.1 aac over an optical cable. It simply does not have enough bandwidth uncompressed, and no receivers handle it compressed. You need to get a discrete 6-channel analog sound out device.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the info. What a drag, I was planning to convert my DVD collection and store it on my server for later playback. But If I can't watch the movies with the surround channels it's really not worth it.

What kind of discrete 6-channel devices do you recomend?

I want to use the optical in of my receiver.

Thanks again!!!!

Jeff
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

If you wish to use your receiver's Toslink jack and surround sound you'll need to feed it a stream it knows what to do with --- AC-3 or DTS as it sits on the DVD.

I suppose this means an .avi file with AC-3 passthrough for example, played back via VLC.

Or forget converting altogether and just playback the VIDEO_TS folder with VLC or DVD Player if you have a lot of HD space.

Either way you'll get what you want, just not with an .mp4 file

If you use a discrete decoder, you won't be using your amp's Toslink jack --- you'd need an amp with 6 individual inputs, one for each channel. Check out the Griffin FireWave.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Deck!

I guess VIDEO_TS is the answer for now.
Is mactheripper still the best solution for that option?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Deck,
Thanks again, you got me thinking and testing some configurations.
I did get it to work creating an AVI and using the AC3 passthru option.

What am I giving up by using the AVI vs the MP4 format?
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

The latest MTR 3.0 r14d is the best all-in-one solution for the Mac in many cases. Older versions and/or other tools exist that when used in combination could also work.

Personally, if I had to regularly glue 2 or 3 apps together just to rip a VIDEO_TS folder I'd put together a cheap PC and get a Windows solution and then transfer the VIDEO_TS over to the Mac ... assuming I didn't have access to an Intel Mac. But anyway.

I can't debate .avi vs. .mp4 or .m4v other than to note that if you ever want to follow an all-Apple path for easy compatibility with Quicktime/FrontRow/iTunes/AppleTV, then .avi will have limitations there. There are QT plugins such as Perian which help bridge the gap somewhat.

Part of it is political. MP4 is "more standards-based" as I understand it and Apple likes it; it has ties to Quicktime. AVI is "more Windows-based", which probably explains the more mature support for popular stuff like AC-3.

I *think* I recall jbrjake saying he went the AVI-via-VLC way because of AC-3 preservation. You'll need him to chime in about that however.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I do have access to both the PC and Mac. Thats the one drag about the whole Mac vs PC thing, there are so many more options on the PC side.
I could just install boot camp on a Mini and run XP. The mini does lend itself to be the perfect HTPC. The more I research the more I am surprised that most people are doing the mp4/aac thing. Sure it makes a great high quality rip and small file size, but how can you watch a movie with out digital surround sound pumping thru your home stereo.... lol, j/k, but I am a movie nut and for me the sound is half of the enjoyment of watching movies at home.

I hate sounding like such a noob regarding this stuff, but I tend to ask alot of questions, as I am researching and testing things for myself. It's hard to just take everything in without having some direction at least from the more experienced people. I do appreciate all the info everyone has shared and this seems to be a forum filled with tons of good people. In about a week I'm sure I will know more than I ever wanted to about this stuff...lol , I tend to be obsessive compulsive about learning new stuff, especially if it has to do with my favorite things, A/V and computers.

Back on topic, new A/V receivers that support AAC files are most likely in the works, if not allready existing. I'm researching that as we speak....
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

deckeda wrote:I *think* I recall jbrjake saying he went the AVI-via-VLC way because of AC-3 preservation.
I rip the movies to x264 in HB with the secondary audio in AAC. Then I extract the AC3 from the DVD separately with 0SeX or mencoder or Streamclip. Then I mux them to Matroska with mkvmergeGUI.

AVI is a sin. Packed bitstreams are the devil's work.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

huh? :shock:

No seriously really how do you do it. :lol:

Wow I would love to hear your reasoning for this process.
I'm sure the outcome is worth the trouble. Do you have any issues
with audio syncing?

As to your comments regarding AVI, why? Is it that bad compared to
mpeg4?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Jeff wrote:huh? :shock:

No seriously really how do you do it. :lol:
Like I said...I rip the movies to x264 in HB with the secondary audio in AAC. Then I extract the AC3 from the DVD separately with 0SeX or mencoder or Streamclip. Then I mux them to Matroska with mkvmergeGUI.

Sorry, not going to provide tutorials for that stuff, it's all pretty easy and you can google your way to download links.
Wow I would love to hear your reasoning for this process.
I want AC3 audio for my home theater, and I don't care at all about QuickTime compatibility. I want to use x264, I want multiple audio and subtitle tracks, I want them labeled, and I want the opportunity to add chapters. That makes .mkv the best choice.
Do you have any issues
with audio syncing?
Nope.
As to your comments regarding AVI, why? Is it that bad compared to
mpeg4?
Putting x264 in an .avi is a total hack job: http://guru.multimedia.cx/avi-and-b-frames/

The container wasn't designed for streams that have out-of-order frames, like high profile h.264.

The other reason I use MKV is that it's the only popular container that's truly open source. MP4 is an open standard, but controlled by a licensing group. AVI...well...does that even have a spec these days? ;P
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, not going to provide tutorials for that stuff, it's all pretty easy and you can google your way to download links.
I should have been more specific with my joke. I was just kidding. I allready
got all the parts and peices I need. Deja.com is your friend...lol, I think I just dated myself oh well.

I also want AC3 for my home theater. I just finished building my projector screen and movie night with my HD1000 are beyond awesome. I have a gigabit network in the house, macs and pc's. The whole DVD collection on demand really apeals to me, not to mention the "downloaded content" from the interweb.

I like the whole control the thing with Frontrow concept, thats what got me going down the Mac route vs the PC route, that and a mac mini is just so cool sitting next to my HT stuff. I really need to thinkg the whole thing out a little more, as all the time invested in ripping would be wasted if I made the wrong decision.

Thanks again for all the info and tips.

Jeff