Blu-Ray to iPhone

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rwurwin

Blu-Ray to iPhone

Post by rwurwin »

this is my first post in this forum

- i have a macbook pro (late 2007) with 4GB Ram and Snow Leopard 10.6.2
- i am using SV9707 x86_64
- i have ripped several DVDs into iTunes with no problems
- i am now trying to rip a Blu-Ray into iTunes now
- i have successfully created 13 mkv file with MakeMKV from one disk

this is a far as i got. how do i get the 13 mkv files merged together and use HandBrake to covert to m4v so that i can import the m4v file into iTunes 9.0.2

thank you

rob
SideShowBob

Re: Blu-Ray to iPhone

Post by SideShowBob »

Is this a Bluray of TV episodes? If not, MakeMKV should have gotten you one large MKV that is the main movie. The other, small files are probably things you don't need. Can you play the files with VLC and see what they are? Again, you should have one really big file (15GB or more) that is the main movie.

You might try looking at this thread: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12726 Although it is mainly discussing automating the process, it should help you figure out what steps you need to take.

Ripping bluray and encoding with Handbrake works great, I do it all the time.
rwurwin

Post by rwurwin »

- it is a movie not a TV episode/series
- i ended up with 6 wkv files that are larger than 15GB
- i re-did the MakeMKV again on the same Bluray disk and there are 6 files that are about 28GB in size
- how do i choose witch one to use - so i did all 6 of them [removing the subtitles and other languages]
- i guess i will have to try to play each of them with VLC Media Player 1.02 64-bit to see if there are ay differences

thank you for your help

rob
texasranger

Post by texasranger »

if the movie is split between those mkv files, i can suggest you MKVMerge (aka MKVToolnix) to merge the MKV files without quality loss and then use the result file as a source in handbrake.
2twisty

Post by 2twisty »

What movie are you trying to rip?

I bet you're running into copy protection.

I use a PC with a BDROM and AnyDVDHD to rip the data from the disc, or I share the disc over the network and use MakeMKV that way.

I've encountered enough copy protection that the Mac (for lack of software) can't handle that my process for Blu-Ray movues is now this:

Put BDROM in PC and let AnyDVD Scan it.
Use MakeMKV on the PC to extract the video
Use MEGui on the PC to extract the subtitles files and the audio tracks from the source
Copy the files except the subtitles) to the Mac.
Use Handbrake to encode the MKV to whatever "new" size I want (in my case, bitrate of 4500, 720pm, REMOVE audio tracks)
While Handbrake is busy, I (on the PC) use SupRip to convert the SUP file to SRT.
Copy the SRT to the Mac
When all the encoding is done, I use MKVMerge to mux the encoded video, the saved AC3 file from the MEGui extract earlier,and the SRT file.

It's a very convoluted process, but it generates a nice 720p encode with the original audio track and soft subtitles, and it looks great opn my 46" Aquos from a Win7 Media Center PC.

I've been fighting to find an "All Mac" way of doing this for several weeks; I've been fighting a very uphill battle. While all of the tools seem to be available for the Mac, most of them seem to be the command-line only versions -- people have not produced nice, clean GUIs for them yet.

I use a very similar process for DVDs, as well.