Handbrake Causes Mac Mini No Signal

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mrmwink

Handbrake Causes Mac Mini No Signal

Post by mrmwink »

Hi,

Not 100% sure what is happening. I am successfully using handbrake on my windows 7 acer laptop and its great. Last week I bought a new Mac Mini and thought I would try the Mac version so downloaded and installed. All was working well until I created a custom preset using H264 codec with Avi container to convert a load of iso images I have to enable watching through frontrow.

Anyway, the problem I seem to get is when I start encoding, if I continue to try and use the mac I lose the video signal and have to unplug - plug back in my hdmi lead and the signal returns. This will last for several minutes before I again lose the signal!

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar on their mac's?

Any help appreciated.

Mike
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake Causes Mac Mini No Signal

Post by rhester »

Haven't seen this particular manifestation, but it's almost certainly an overheating issue - the elegance of Mac case design seems to invariably lead to this under any sustained high CPU utilization scenarios (which apparently Steve believes Mac users never have use for).

Rodney
nekogami13

Post by nekogami13 »

I use handbrake on an iMac and a mini-I have never experienced this issue.
My elegantly designed Macs handle processor intensive stuff just fine Rodney.
kevinbal

Post by kevinbal »

I just bought the new low-end mini as my permanent media hub (and encoding station), I haven't run into any issues that you've described. Install SMC fan control and take a look at your temps when you are encoding. If you need to, manually ramp up the fans during encodes (I do this on my imac 3.06) to ensure that there is enough flow going through. If it continues, I'd honestly just return it to an apple store and have them replace it. If you can't do video encoding, then something is suspect with your build quality.
LinBrake
Experienced

Post by LinBrake »

Which version of OS X are you using?

10.6.2 includes some fixes that might help with this.