With upcoming changes to data protection and privacy laws in Europe coming into effect soon, we thought this would be a good time to remind everyone that we do have a privacy policy.
This applies to all users and visitors world-wide.

We have made a few changes to the language to make it clearer in relation to this new regulation but fundamentally, the terms and your rights are unchanged.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask in the General Forum

picture size/ratio question (NEWBIE)

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
axeldtf

picture size/ratio question (NEWBIE)

Post by axeldtf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:36 am

I am curious to know why handbrake changes the picture size from the original source.
Here i have a movie that is 720x480. the output size is coming out 720x382 which i highlighted
not sure what this means and it it's ok to adjust in the picture settings.
Any help would be appreciated.

TedJ
Veteran User

Re: picture size/ratio question (NEWBIE)

Post by TedJ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:21 am

It's nothing to be concerned about. The DVD specification only allows for 2 aspect ratios - 4:3 (1.33:1) and 16:9 (1.78:1). For other aspect ratios (for instance, your source is 2.35:1), they simply pad the 1.78:1 frame with matting/letterboxing.

Since video for playback on computers/HTPCs/etc don't have this restriction, Handbrake automatically crops this matting prior to encode - there's no point wasting bits encoding black bars. ;)

axeldtf

Re: picture size/ratio question (NEWBIE)

Post by axeldtf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 am

Thank you very much for your response and help