FFmpeg versus H.264 - audio drop related

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mrmugno
Novice

FFmpeg versus H.264 - audio drop related

Post by mrmugno »

So I finally managed to rip and convert a problematic source with the audio drop issue that everyone is talking about.

Pulp Fiction was ripped with MTR 2.6.6 main feature. Under Handbrake, I used the suggested FFmpeg option, instead of H.264 which is a real bummer. The encoding went smoothly under:

MPEG 4 - FFmpeg
FPS - same as source
Constant quality 75% (try to get it somewhere in that 1500kbps range)
Anamorphic checked.

Guess this is a temporary fix, but I really hope the developers sort this bug out, as the new release has potential sweetness written all over it if bug free.

Since this is the necessary action to be taken for us users to handle the audio drop bug problem, can the well educated offer us an explanation on the differences, limitations and trade offs between H.264 x264 main and MPEG 4 FFmpeg encoding. I.e. - FFmpeg won't work with ATV

I did a search for the 2 and came up short on results so if you just want to provide some links or your own explanations that would be great.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: FFmpeg versus H.264 - audio drop related

Post by dynaflash »

mrmugno wrote:Since this is the necessary action to be taken for us users to handle the audio drop bug problem, can the well educated offer us an explanation on the differences, limitations and trade offs between H.264 x264 main and MPEG 4 FFmpeg encoding
Well, I wouldnt say "necessary action" at all. I ripped that title using latest mtr in full disk and ran through HandBrakes HB-AppleTV preset this weekend (h.264). Looks fantastic on appleTV, just watched it last night in fact. So, therein lies the frustration of all of this dropped audio business. No common thread, no matter how hard we look (and believe me, we have been looking).

As for H.264 vs mpeg4, these forums and other are filled with discussions about that very thing. Very basically h.264 is same video quality at a considerably smaller file size (read bitrate).
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

sigh...guess I just need to use the less efficient codec.

Mind telling me your specs, both handbrake and your computer?

Sorry, I wiki'd the differences between the 2. all is well.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

mrmugno wrote:Mind telling me your specs, both handbrake and your computer?
Sure, HB 0.8.5b1 (GUI)
MBP Core2Duo.

Key in my case was Full Disk rip with mtr. I previously had it stored as a Main Feature rip. Audio dropped about 25% in (along with cpu usage and fps).

Re ripped dvd using Full Disk. bang, worked like a charm (actually, have had no problems whatsoever since using Full Disk rips, though thats not to say you cant).
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

I take it no one has been having problems with the dropped audio when ripping direct from source instead of MTR output?

This is one crazy bug from the looks of the inconsistency. So maybe the key is:

Full disk rip with MTR results in workable file?
Main feature requires FFmpeg encoding?

All other reported problems seem to be common and nothing special; to high KBPS, wrong FPS, etc.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

mrmugno wrote:This is one crazy bug from the looks of the inconsistency. So maybe the key is:

Full disk rip with MTR results in workable file?
For me, this has been very effective. However, any bug that is dvd specific is very hard to narrow down. I do not own every dvd, to be sure, so I can only report that it has been very successful so far. Having said that, my next dvd rip could be a completely different story...
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

ok, last reply.

so moving forward, i will attempt to follow your steps, understanding that this is not full proof and I will report any non-working sources.

2 things:

1. after extracting full source (I take it you did so because Handbrake couldn't initially handle ripping and encoding?) you are only encoding the main feature Handbrake detects? (i.e. - longest bit)

2. what are your specific settings for handbrake? i know you used preset but any tweaks?
fps / codec / bitrate / abr or constant quality (2-pass)/ anamorphic checked / etc.

sorry to be redundant but want to get nice and thorough moving forward.

thanks for all your help and i'll keep my fingers crossed until the bugs are exterminated!!