PS3 showing "The Data Is Corrupted" with m4v files

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jasonaknight

PS3 showing "The Data Is Corrupted" with m4v files

Post by jasonaknight »

Hi All,

I would not consider myself a newbie, but am encountering the error message "The Data Is Corrupted" on my PS3 when streaming .m4v files encoded with Handbrake via MediaLink over ethernet from a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

I have around 400GB of encoded Movies and TV Shows that play fine on iTunes & Front Row, with all the meta-data filled in with MetaX, so would really like to avoid re-encoding all of them.

I assume there is something in the headers of these files that the PS3 does not like. Funny thing is, when I reboot the PS3, it manages to play a few of these files (3 or so), before generating the error message "The Data is Corrupted", and then none of them will play, for good. Some .mp4 videos that I have not changed any meta-data play fine, time & time again.

I have tried physically copying these files across to the PS3's hard drive (250GB Slim version), with MediaLink's CopyCat feature, but the same error message occurs.

What I have noticed is that if I open these files with MPEG Streamclip and save as a fresh .mp4 file (i.e. with all the meta-data stripped), the file will then play fine.

Does anyone know of a way I can run a script (I have no experience with Terminal), or automator action to re-do my files in a correct format for the PS3?

Any help or advice on this matter will be hugely appreciated.

Yours in Digital AV,

JK
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Re: PS3 showing "The Data Is Corrupted" with m4v files

Post by phibertron »

After reading your post, I think the biggest indicator to a solution is one you have already found
It is that when you used MPEG Streamclip to create a new file it worked
So it is something in the container that is the issue and a remux fixed that somehow

I recently had an issue in which all my videos all of sudden thought they were like 50+ hours in length
That problem appeared after the install of iTunes 9.x
After doing similiar troubleshooting, it ended being my use of mp4creator to modify the chapter data
What I had to do was to demux and remux all of my videos, I lost all of chapter tracks and meta data
Im still working on getting that data back into them, I'll post my solution, once I ensure it doesnt cause other fuddy duddies

But to solving your problem with a script, you could do the same thing as did below
A word of caution though, you will need to know the fps of the file beforehand
as you will need it when you remux as indicated by the fps=23.976
or else it defaults to 25fps

Code: Select all

mp4box.exe -raw 1 "inputfilename" -out "outputfilename.h264"
mp4box.exe -raw 2 "inputfilename" -out "outputfilename.aac"
mp4box.exe -add "ouputfilename.h264":fps=23.976 -add "outputfilename.aac" "newfilename.m4v"
But this is just one of the possible ways to script the remux, there are other tools out there.

As to the meta data and chapter data,I have been playing with Drax, which works in the command line to add chapter data, and meta data, but like I said earliet, Im still playing with it before I pull the trigger on all of my videos

Here is the url to drax if you want to check it out, http://www.arlt.eu/blog/projects/drax/
I think it is worth noting, that he used some of the same source code from handbrake to make the tool
This is very comforting, in that it at least from my perspective, I know what to expect, it works

So with mp4box, or other muxer, and drax, you should be able to recreate all of your files, with minimal loss of meta data
Will it be a lot of work, yes and no, it depends on how many files you have, and how much attention to detail you have in them
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

The latest mp4chaps does not exhibit the length issue when adding chapters to iTunes content. A fix is also in mp4creator's svn.

Rodney
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Post by phibertron »

Excellent, thanks for the info on mp4chaps and mp4creator
I guess I will have to go play with the new ones