Presets Missing

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
aciccone

Presets Missing

Post by aciccone »

I have recently downloaded 0.9.3 for PC and MAC. The PC version works great but the MAC version seems to be missing the Presets. The MAC is my daughter's and new to me. How do I get the Presets installed on the MAC.
Regards
A
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Presets Missing

Post by TedJ »

Do you have the presets drawer open? There should be a button on the toolbar marked "Toggle Presets".
martinbtw

Post by martinbtw »

I have just downloaded 0.9.4 ... lo and behold! All of my presets have disappeared! not only that, but bundled presets do not appear to be complete either. I'm really after the PS3 preset and would like to know how to get it back.

I should also note that I keep previous versions and rename them to include their version number ie.: HandBrake 0.9.3. I have gone back into the older apps to see if the presets are still there, but they are not.

I do however see that I can import presets... can I download the old standard ones from somewhere?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

From the Release announcement:
Presets

There are no more presets for the PSP, PS3, or Xbox 360. Quite frankly, they didn't work well. None of the development team members own the devices, so testing was minimal and support was nonexistent. Keeping up with the firmware vagaries and ambiguous specifications of these devices was not fun--we get enough of that from Apple's kit, and those we all have around to test on. The new "Normal" preset should work perfectly fine on any device that supports standard Main Profile H.264 with AAC-LC audio in an MP4 file, which the PS3 and 360 ostensibly do.

alekslove

Post by alekslove »

I had trouble wih this also ...although I did read the release notes stating that different presets werent all that necessary anymore, I felt more comfortable encoding with the presets for ps3..so here's what I did...I installed the older version of HB...navigated to the User Library...and then to Application support...then to handbrake...and copied the preset preference list. I then trashed HB, updated, and everytime I use handbrake, I just use the import option and grab the preference file from a folder that is always in the same location...hope that helps.....
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Hey, whatever works for you I guess... you do realise that the console presets from 0.9.4 were very conservative due to a lack of clear information on decoder capabilities, don't you?

That is, if the Normal preset works on your playback device, it's going to be MUCH better than those half [Censored] console presets ever were.
alekslove

Post by alekslove »

ted, so I am going to decode with the "Normal" setting see how it goes..I was just unfamiliar with the "Normal" settings, as I have spent a long time decoding Movies before this new version only to find they would not work on my PS3..so after the preset was available, and then again it wasn't there with the update, I was a bit weary about encoding without the PS3 settings...but after much reading here on these forums and elsewhere, I now get why the presets aren't included anymore.... Anyways, I am encoding tonight on the "Normal" setting and then transferring to the PS3 and monday morning i'll come back here and let you all in on how it all went. But really, I was only trying to help the above poster on his question about the built in presets. 8)
sburnap

Post by sburnap »

Can you at least post somewhere what the old presets were? "Normal" does not work with PSP and it'd be nice to have a starting point, however inadequate.

It is very frustrating to sit down to encode something for a trip and discover that something that worked for years suddenly doesn't and discover that the only ways out are to downgrade or to spend the day mucking around to find the settings that used to just be there.
TPot

Post by TPot »

I had a little poke around. After upgrading/uninstalling/re-installing 0.9.3 - my user presets were still on the file system:
"C:\Program Files\Handbrake\user_presets.xml"

There is also:
"C:\Program Files\Handbrake\presets.xml"
- not sure if this is the new version or not though (never paid that much attention to it)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The presets are not going to have the same results given all the changes, so it's rather pointless anyway.
As a note, those files are no longer used. They just havn't been cleaned up of the system.
bb18

Post by bb18 »

So I guess for us PSP users best bet is to track down an old version of handbrake?

shame... I was a bit shocked to let handbrake update and loose my PSP settings :(
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Why? You can still encode for the PSP just fine.
rirving

Post by rirving »

Yes, you can, but people don't know how (I was baffled for several minutes). Here is how I do it in version 9.4 (which is super fast - well done guys).

- choose the iPod preset.
- select the picture setting icon on the toolbar
- adjust the video size as close to the maximum for your PSP (mine is a PSP 3000 which goes to 480x272).
- Go.

That seems to work for me.
peter_h

Post by peter_h »

FYI:

In 0.94, if you're looking to edit the user_presets.xml in Notepad, you won't find them in the Program Files\Handbrake\ folder, as per 0.93.

For 0.94, the preset xml files have (rightly IMO) been moved to the Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Handbrake\.