1st Pass Flies; 2nd Pass Crawls

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tc60045

1st Pass Flies; 2nd Pass Crawls

Post by tc60045 »

22 - 24 fps on my imac of a MTR-ripped movie during the first pass, followed by 6 - 8 fps on the second pass.

I also noticed that choosing a pct (say 55%) slowed compression down to a crawl.

Any thoughts on things to try? Thanks
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

I have this too for Pulp Fiction!!!

Most likely is fps setting. Do you have it as same as source. This usually is the issue, where you need to set it to the appropriate level.

However, I am unsure of what this level is. Let me know if you find a fix.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

please allow the encode to finish, then play the film back, skip through the movie and scan it. is the audio there throughout the whole movie?

i think you may be experiencing an audio drop, the speed decrease in the encode is a symptom not limited to, but directly related to an audio drop.

i believe the slowdown occurs only in the second pass when the file is actually being outputted. it does not occur on the first pass which is only used to generate a stat file.

i might be wrong, but i am 90% sure this is the case.

so guys, be patient, let the encode finish, make sure you have audio throughout the whole encode, if not, you need to be looking at the huge NO AUDIO thread located here:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849
mrmugno
Novice

Post by mrmugno »

Finished

10 hour encoding resulted in unplayable output.

Will try encoding again but it clearly wasn't the audio.
tc60045

Post by tc60045 »

loyalty_anchored wrote: i think you may be experiencing an audio drop, the speed decrease in the encode is a symptom not limited to, but directly related to an audio drop.

i believe the slowdown occurs only in the second pass when the file is actually being outputted. it does not occur on the first pass which is only used to generate a stat file.

i might be wrong, but i am 90% sure this is the case.
You were 100% right -- it was audio drop-out. I found that using ffmpeg, rather than h.264, worked just fine and didn't drop the audio. Go figure.

I now need to understand better what the trade-offs are b/t ffmpeg and h.264. A year ago, Front Row didn't play movies that were encoded in ffmpeg mp4, so I used h.264 out of necessity. Now that is not the case for AppleTV -- it likes ffmpeg mp4 movies just fine.

I am sure that starting a thread on this will border on trolling, so let me instead ask your opinion here (in this relatively low-profile post): what are the trade-offs b/t the two as you see them?

Thanks!

TC
bdkennedy1
Enlightened

Post by bdkennedy1 »

So THAT's what's been going on. I've tried to encode the movie True Lies 6 times now and the audio drops out in the middle of the movie. By the way, I use FFMPEG to encode and still get audio drop-outs.

I've been encoing everything at 29.97fps. Is this not good? I do this because I've noticed that if I leave the fps setting as "same as source", the picture looks jerky when there's panning going on.