adding subs

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zoran

adding subs

Post by zoran »

I have a mkv file and its sub support in an srt file. How can i add the subs file to the m4v file that will output out of the original mkv file?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: adding subs

Post by dynaflash »

the dev snapshot can use external srt sub files
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

But can't extract the SRT file from an existing MKV, that will have do be done (for now) via another tool and then added back in as an external SRT file using a new version of HB.
zoran

Post by zoran »

I dont need to extract subs from the mkv file, i have the appropriate subs.
But let me explain what i want to do. I have a mkv file (4.3GB) and the srt subs of that file too. I want to use handbreak, to transform it into an avi or mp4 with embedded subs, so then i can place it in toast to burn it to dvd video format (Video_TS). All this because i have an old desktop dvd video player and i can only such format(Video_TS)!
So can someone help me with the settings of handbreak? How to add the subs and what settings must i use in the Video tab, Video codec, what do i place for quality etc.?
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

I see. Handbrake can't convert textual subs like SRT or CC into picture based ones like VOBSUBs. Also
neither AVI or MP4 support the embedding of selectable VOBSUBs.

So it's not doable using that route I'm afraid.

Cheers Ed.
davidw89

Post by davidw89 »

User subler.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

davidw89 wrote:User subler.
How would that help?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Also, unless Toast supports subtitles from file-based sources (I haven't used it in a while, but I somehow doubt it), the only way to get subs in Toast would be to have them burned in the video.
davidw89

Post by davidw89 »

eddyg wrote:
davidw89 wrote:User subler.
How would that help?
Use MKVTool to extract the subtitle. Use handbreak to convert to m4v. Use subler to mux the subtitle
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

ITT: People don't bother reading previous posts.

Last time I checked, Toast does not support mp4 softsubs so they won't be carried across to the DVD conversion.
zoran

Post by zoran »

The mkv file i have is 4.3gb, what would be the settings i want the produced m4v file to be so i dont loose quality? My main goal is to fit this into a DVD disk to watch in my desktop dvdv player
zoran

Post by zoran »

also i could use some guidance on that mkv to m4v conversion.
is it absolutely important to convert to m4v? why not avi?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Well, aside from the fact that AVI is a truly awful container format, it still doesn't solve your subtitle problem.

I hate having to say this, but if you have access to a Windows box your easiest option is to use something like DVD Flick to convert the file.
zoran

Post by zoran »

Unfortunatelly no, i cant use a pc. But apart from that, how do i make the muxing in subler? Thats a pretty strange app!
Deleted User 11865

zoran wrote:Unfortunatelly no, i cant use a pc. But apart from that, how do i make the muxing in subler? Thats a pretty strange app!
As TedJ said, last time I checked (but I doubt it changed), Toast didn't support soft subs in MP4, so Subler won't help. But apparently Toast can burn the subs in the picture if Perian is installed:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.p ... opic=35597

Maybe if you create an MP4, and use the same name for the srt (in the same folder), it'll work? You can test this by playing the file in QuickTime (after you've installed Perian, of course): if the subtitles display, then they should be burned in the video when you create the DVD with Toast…
zoran

Post by zoran »

Rodeo wrote:...if the subtitles display, then they should be burned in the video when you create the DVD with Toast…
But how would that happen if toast doesnt support subtitle burning?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Because Toast uses Quicktime to decode the source file, and the Perian plugin effectively "burns" the subtitles into the video.
zoran

Post by zoran »

TedJ wrote:Because Toast uses Quicktime to decode the source file, and the Perian plugin effectively "burns" the subtitles into the video.
Can i then just burn directly the mkv file with Toast? If the subs have the same name withthe mkv file wouldnt that just be ok?
Deleted User 11865

zoran wrote:
TedJ wrote:Because Toast uses Quicktime to decode the source file, and the Perian plugin effectively "burns" the subtitles into the video.
Can i then just burn directly the mkv file with Toast? If the subs have the same name withthe mkv file wouldnt that just be ok?
If the subtitles are displayed in QuickTime w/Perian, then it should. You may want to create a disc image first to avoid wasting discs though.
zoran

Post by zoran »

Rodeo wrote:If the subtitles are displayed in QuickTime w/Perian, then it should. You may want to create a disc image first to avoid wasting discs though.
Displaying them in a computer isnt what i have in mind. I want the movie to be seen on a desktop dvd player, so i guess the subs have to be embedded somehow in the movie!
Deleted User 11865

zoran wrote:
Rodeo wrote:If the subtitles are displayed in QuickTime w/Perian, then it should. You may want to create a disc image first to avoid wasting discs though.
Displaying them in a computer isnt what i have in mind. I want the movie to be seen on a desktop dvd player, so i guess the subs have to be embedded somehow in the movie!
For ****'s sake, how hard is it to understand? If the subtitles display in QuickTime w/Perian, then Toast should be able to see the subs, and therefore burn them on the DVD.
zoran

Post by zoran »

Ok gotcha! Sorry, i had no idea Perian could interfere with Toast in such a way! Ill try it out and let you know, thanx!