Audio out of Sync with video

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bapgator

Audio out of Sync with video

Post by bapgator »

I have ripped about 200 tv shows off of my own DVD's and about 10 DVD movies. The problem started with season 6 of Stargate SG-1 and continues with all episodes in season 6, 7 and 8. The audio will be about 2 seconds behind the video. A post I read here said to use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD and the use handbrake afterwards. The MacTheRipper version plays just fine but when I put it into Handbrake, I have the same audio problem. I have only had this problem with seasons 6, 7 and 8 of Stargate SG-1 so far. The importing was done in MG4 and H264 with the defalt handbrake settings and 480 by ??? (What ever handbrake puts when you have "keep aspect ratio" checked).
merovin

Post by merovin »

It is a copy protection feature. Rip the DVDs using MTR title-cell extraction. Don't copy the first cell (5.34 seconds in length). After that it should convert perfectly.
bapgator

Audio problem fixed BUT

Post by bapgator »

By importing with MTR and then using MPEG Streamclip to convert it the problem was solved but three things have happened. First the file size is about 35 to 50% bigger than when I am just using HandBrake and second the picture quality is not as good, I think. The quality is good enough for me but ... I have been using the iPod preset and the 16:9 aspect ratio in MPEG Stremclip and the episodes look good on my 42" HD LCD TV streaming via Apple TV and iTunes. The last thing is that when I was using HandBrake for the import I would then use MPEG Streamclip to edit the show a little (delete the intro and the credits) and then save it to my Hard Drive (file size between 250 and 325 megs). This save would take about 2-3 minutes but now that save takes 1 to 2 hours. I am shore that it is because Streamclip is having to covert to mp4 and not just cut out some footage as it did when HandBrake was being used but that is a long time. Any ideas.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

I don't have that DVD but it appears as if merovin does; he gave you a very specific thing to try --- did you? It would seem a whole bunch better than what you went through.
hawkyn

Post by hawkyn »

I'm having the same problem with the same DVDs. I can't find "Title-Cell extraction" on my version of MTR (2.6.6). Is this feature part of the new beta release? Also, when I've ripped particular titles using MTR in the past (as opposed to ripping the entire disk), I could get HandBrake to recognize and open the file.

I do have myDVDEdit, which helped me locate the offending cell. Is there a way I can use that program to delete it, then use HandBrake to encode the title?
Smash

Post by Smash »