Subtitles - Which ones to choose??

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mikebeecham

Subtitles - Which ones to choose??

Post by mikebeecham »

Hi there...I've been using Handbrake for a long time now, and feel that I've gotten used to it. However, I've never really used subtitles at all. I'm now backing up my copy of Blood Diamond which uses subtitles in places, both to display facts about the diamond trade, but also when SOME of the Africans are talking. I don't know what subtitles setting to use here.

When I check the Subtitles section there are 3 different English options, each allowing me forced and burnt in. However, I dont want to rip the entire movie each time, just to find out which are the correct settings to use.

Subtitles are not used throughout the entire movie, just at the beginning as a description, and on occasion.

Could anyone help me with the right settings please?

Many thanks.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Subtitles - Which ones to choose??

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If you're using the snapshot, choose Foreign Audio Search and check Forced Only.

If you're encoding to an MKV container, you may want to check the Default checkbox so that the subtitles are displayed by default (will have no effect if you select Burned In, since that options encodes the subs in the video).
mikebeecham

Post by mikebeecham »

Thanks Rodeo...will try that now and see what happens.
pmendez

Post by pmendez »

so mikebeecham, which option worked? i am on the same boat as you, but with 2012 and dont know which option to choose.