Intermittent Subtitles

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ebroder

Intermittent Subtitles

Post by ebroder »

I'm trying to rip Star Wars: A New Hope. Lines from Greedo, Jabba, etc are translated by having a special subtitle track with just their lines. When I select this track in Handbrake, the timing for when the subtitles are displayed is competely off.
golias
Enlightened

Re: Intermittent Subtitles

Post by golias »

ebroder wrote:I'm trying to rip Star Wars: A New Hope. Lines from Greedo, Jabba, etc are translated by having a special subtitle track with just their lines. When I select this track in Handbrake, the timing for when the subtitles are displayed is competely off.
If I am not mistaken, this is a known bug with the way the old HB app handled "forced" subtitles. At one point, they could not be ripped at all, as I recall.

Future versions of MediaFork may handle subtitles a little better, but for now you are just going to have to put up with watching from a VIDEO_TS folder, or living without those subtitles. (Which is hardly the end of the world. The Jabba dialog is often the same, word for word, as the Greedo dialog. It's one of the biggest weaknesses of the Special Editions, IMHO. Both scenes are actually more entertaining without translation, as I accidentally discovered one lazy Sunday.)
maximthemagnificent

Post by maximthemagnificent »

Is this the same bug that has caused so many problems with anime subtitles? My own run-in was with Banner of the Stars (the third series), episode one. DVD2oneX did not solve the issue, nor did messing with MTR options. Many others have complained about anime subtitles on the handbrake forums. I seem to recall somebody even mailed titer a DVD for testing.

Maxim
dhamm

Post by dhamm »

Hi, this is my first post here... although I have been using both HandBrake 0.7.1 and MediaFork 0.8.0b1 for about a month now. So firstly a big shout out to the developers for excellent work.

I have been looking into this problem with subtitles being out of sync on some movies as well.

Although I have ripped Star Wars IV - A New Hope I must admit I have yet to go through and see how the subs came out.

I have had a similar problem with Clear And Present Danger. The English subs for the Spanish language bits are on a separate subtitle track (track 3 if memory serves me). The subs start a few seconds prior to where they should be. I have not had the problem with The Sum Of All Fears - another where the English subs for the Russian is on a separate sub track.

Since I know some of the Star Wars movies are the same way (full English and partial English subtitle tracks) I will go through and check them out tonight.

But golias, you have pointed out to an issue with "forced" subtitles. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought "forced" subs were ones where they are simply 'turned on' from time to time from a sub track that has the full English (or other) subtitle track (ie, one English subtitle track exists, but it comes on at certain moments when no subtitle track is selected)? I know this was done with early DVDs (thinking more specifically Red Dawn) but at least back then it didn't always work with every machine.

Since it appered to me (based on one movie that I have gone through so far) that the subs are simply offset throughout, I began to think that perhaps they are normally synced to begin at a specific moment in the movie that does not correspond to the exact beginning and HandBrake has not picked that up. this would be strange because presumably all of the subs are set to the same start point... but I must confess that I have no idea how they work in relation to the rest of the DVD.

Will have a play with other movies... especially now that I have been reminded that some of the Star Wars movies had special 'partial' subtitle tracks, but if anyone else has thoughts I would sure love to hear them.

ps- as for anime subs... not something I watch much of so can't comment, but would have thought their subs are pretty much a complete track?!
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

One solution I've used on SW:ANH is to use QuickTime Pro to add a text track with the subtitles. One advantage is that I can make the movie aspect ratio 16:9 and put the subtitle text in the bottom black bar so that it doesn't overlay the video. The real downside is that I had to type in the text and adjust the timing by hand.
Pimpbot

Post by Pimpbot »

TheBum wrote:One solution I've used on SW:ANH is to use QuickTime Pro to add a text track with the subtitles. One advantage is that I can make the movie aspect ratio 16:9 and put the subtitle text in the bottom black bar so that it doesn't overlay the video. The real downside is that I had to type in the text and adjust the timing by hand.
I have been trying to get SW:ANH into an aspect ratio of 16:9 but I can't figure out how to go about doing this. What app are you using to get the black bars around the movie?
d70mac

Post by d70mac »

golias wrote:
ebroder wrote:I'm trying to rip Star Wars: A New Hope. Lines from Greedo, Jabba, etc are translated by having a special subtitle track with just their lines. When I select this track in Handbrake, the timing for when the subtitles are displayed is competely off.
If I am not mistaken, this is a known bug with the way the old HB app handled "forced" subtitles. At one point, they could not be ripped at all, as I recall.

Future versions of MediaFork may handle subtitles a little better, but for now you are just going to have to put up with watching from a VIDEO_TS folder, or living without those subtitles. (Which is hardly the end of the world. The Jabba dialog is often the same, word for word, as the Greedo dialog. It's one of the biggest weaknesses of the Special Editions, IMHO. Both scenes are actually more entertaining without translation, as I accidentally discovered one lazy Sunday.)
I discovered this bug while making a copy of the Steve Martin version of The Pink Panther for my daughter's iTunes. I have to select the correct subtitle track but even then the subtitles started playing around 7 seconds before they were supposed to completely ruining the "joke" (Chinese woman explaining that soccer trainers know about Chinese poisons). That was a funny scene. You're right that I can watch the VIDEO_TS folder but that isn't a solution for my daughter. The Apple DVD player handles this subtitle perfectly. VLC handles it correctly if you know to choose the correct subtitle menu. I guess I'll have to learn how to create my own subtitles in Quicktime and hopefully no re-encoding or other anomalies will surface from saving the file.

Some day I'll talk about the issue with movies like The DaVinci Code which have no separate subtitle tracks for the "foreign language" speakers. D-Vision 3 handles them perfectly but unfortunately I haven't discovered how to make D-Vision clips iTunes compatible. I think they use memcoder.

BTW, this latest version of Handbrake is amazing. The quality of the AppleTV preset is indistinguishable from the original anamorphic DVD on my 23 inch Apple LCD at full screen.