0.8.5b1 won't let me change settings

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Pimpbot

0.8.5b1 won't let me change settings

Post by Pimpbot »

I have downloaded 0.8.5b1 for OS X, and I am running 10.3.9. I can run handbrake, but all it allows me to do is use the browse button, everything else is greyed out (I can't even rip a dvd). Any ideas?

Thanks.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: 0.8.5b1 won't let me change settings

Post by cvk_b »

Pimpbot wrote:I have downloaded 0.8.5b1 for OS X, and I am running 10.3.9. I can run handbrake, but all it allows me to do is use the browse button, everything else is greyed out (I can't even rip a dvd). Any ideas?

Thanks.
Try trashing your preferences file. It may not be compatible with the new release. Or perhaps the system requirements are incorrectly stated on the download page. Not sure.
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

Pimpbot, after you browse, what happens when you select a valid VIDEO_TS folder or DVD? Does HB then scan it?
maurj
Enlightened

Post by maurj »

Hi Pimpbot,

You have to select a valid input before you can do anything with the Handbrake interface (it was like this in 0.8.0b1 too). Select a valid DVD, VIDEO_TS folder or disk image via the "browse" button, and you'll be good to go.

- maurj.
Pimpbot

Post by Pimpbot »

deckeda wrote:Pimpbot, after you browse, what happens when you select a valid VIDEO_TS folder or DVD? Does HB then scan it?
I can select and open dvd or image using the Browse window, but after that everything else is disabled except for the following:

Browse button
Video/Audio Tabs
Track 1 Mix
Presets
eggman1rising

Post by eggman1rising »

I am having the exact issue on 10.3.9. Either a physical DVD or VIDEO_TS folder can be browsed and scanned successfully. Shows the time of the program number of chapters etc, but nothing can be changed below "Output Settings."

I also posted this under "Nothing Happens" before I found this. Sorry for duplicate.

Thanks
Pimpbot wrote:
deckeda wrote:Pimpbot, after you browse, what happens when you select a valid VIDEO_TS folder or DVD? Does HB then scan it?
I can select and open dvd or image using the Browse window, but after that everything else is disabled except for the following:

Browse button
Video/Audio Tabs
Track 1 Mix
Presets
Pimpbot

Post by Pimpbot »

My guess is that it does not work with 10.3.9, which would be a bummer.
eggman1rising

Post by eggman1rising »

That would be a bummer, since it claims to work w/ 10.3.9. Oh well.

Lemme know if you come up with anything and I'll do the same.
-Ken

Pimpbot wrote:My guess is that it does not work with 10.3.9, which would be a bummer.
ichtus00

Post by ichtus00 »

:( I'm running into the same problem. Once I select a DVD in the drive it won't let me do anything else. If I select a VIDEO_TS file then it gives an "opening" message but it never returns.

How do we find out if there is a problem with 10.3.9?

Rex
clingfreeze

Post by clingfreeze »

Hello all

Same here. I'm running 10.3.9 on an iMac G4. Almost everything grayed out and not working.

Anyway, keep up your great work, thanks...
clingfreeze

Post by clingfreeze »

Since 0.8.5b1 is not working on 10.3.9, could someone post the settings for appletv?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

question: can you panther users see the "Presets" button in the upper right corner of the main window ? I just realized that button is not compatible with Panther and am wondering what you see right above the dvd source Browse button.

I have a panther test machine coming this afternoon. But that would help narrow it down.
clingfreeze

Post by clingfreeze »

Yep, the word "Presets" is visible, but its no button, just the word. But if you click on it, it toggles the Presets drawer on the left on and off. Hope this helps.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

okay, will try to look into it later today, But, all panther users beware, HB is definitley on the border of becoming 10.4 or later compatible.

Some of the new gui features we want to add will break Panther compatibility permanently.

As a side benefit, Tiger is faster even on an older G4 1 ghz powerbook than Panther.

But, as I said, I will look into it as soon as I have a panther test machine.
eggman1rising

Post by eggman1rising »

Thanks for your work on this!

Yeah I get the same "Preset" as a word that is clickable but doesn't look like a button. It toggles the preset drawer. I can click on 3 presets, HB Apple TV, HB iPod and HB PS3. This doesn't change anything.

Interesting about Tiger being faster on a G4 1ghz. I had heard the opposite, but will look into this as things are certainly moving away from panther. 10.3.9 sure is stable running my apple pro app, Logic tho....

Let us know if there is a fix for 10.3.9 in the meantime.

Thanks.
dynaflash wrote:okay, will try to look into it later today, But, all panther users beware, HB is definitley on the border of becoming 10.4 or later compatible.

Some of the new gui features we want to add will break Panther compatibility permanently.

As a side benefit, Tiger is faster even on an older G4 1 ghz powerbook than Panther.

But, as I said, I will look into it as soon as I have a panther test machine.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Okay, had a chance to check on Panther compatibility. It is not an easy fix. The new audio code for Dolby Pro Logic II in the GUi breaks Panther compatibility and is not easily fixed.

I hate to say it, but it is very likely that HB will now be a "10.4" or later application. It would be different possibly if some of our upcoming features werent definitly going to break Panther, but in all likelihood they will. So, unless further digging produces a quick fix, you will likely have to upgrade to 10.4 in order to use HandBrake 0.8.5b1.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Well its official. 10.3 support has been droped.
suborbit

Post by suborbit »

....arghh....unhappy 10.3.9 user.

I noticed it's noted as 10.4 only now on download page but you might want to make it obvious on the homepage where there is a download link made available but no mention of 10.4 min.

See you in October, when I will be upgrading to Leopard. Best of luck in the meantime and thanks again for all the efforts.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

suborbit wrote:....arghh....unhappy 10.3.9 user.
<weakly> You could still use the CLI... </weakly> I know, it's not an optimal solution.

This weekend it will have been 2 years since Tiger came out. None of the developers have 10.3.9 machines to test on--we assumed it would still be 10.3.9-compatible because we weren't doing anything fundamentally new, like bindings.

However, in order to get the new audio mix-down stuff to work, a Tiger technology called tagging slipt in at the very last moment. Because it was added to make something work, not as a whiz-bang alteration just for the hell of it, it didn't cross anyone's mind that it might break 10.3.9 compatibility. That was something we were all trying to put off until the Mac GUI gets its long-destined overhaul, versions and versions down the road. But it happened, and it's staying. :/