Is it possible to leave (AAC-) Audio Source as it is?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
uniBE

Is it possible to leave (AAC-) Audio Source as it is?

Post by uniBE »

Hi everybody!

We would like to encode a M-JPEG Video-File with AAC Audio into a MPEG4-File with Handbrake. As for the video source, everything works fine. However it does not seem possible to re-encode the AAC with Handbrake, as it turns out not to be synchronous with the video track.

My question: is it possible to "tell" Handbrake to leave the Audio Track as it is and not re-encode it? Obviously this is not possible with the GUI-version.

I just hope there is a way to leave the audio untouched when using the CLI-version but I couldn't find any information on that.

By the way, I am a newbie, so if i did anything wrong in my post (or posted it in the wrong place), I am sorry.

Thx
uniBE
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Is it possible to leave (AAC-) Audio Source as it is?

Post by s55 »

Nope, only AC3 passthru (and DTS in development code) is supported.

All other formats are re recorded
hunterk
Bright Spark User

Post by hunterk »

You can accomplish your goal using FFmpeg or Quicktime Pro, though the video quality will probably not be as good as you could achieve with HandBrake. With Quicktime, you would choose 'export' and then choose your video codec/options of choice and on the audio, choose 'passthrough' (I think that's the correct terminology; YMMV). With FFmpeg, they use the term 'copy' to denote passthru.
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

avidemux also can passthrough (copy) either video or audio.