MP4 Soft Sub handling

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
granita

MP4 Soft Sub handling

Post by granita »

Cheers everyone! I'm new here, congrats for the nice forum.

I'm trying to rip my foreign language movies to my harddisk. having the subtitles is crucial to me here. handbrake unfortunately only supports hardsubs, what might make sense for putting it on your iPod, but as watching it on my Mac mostly, I'd wish to turn them off at times, or have more than one language to switch. I tried to find as much information in this forum as I can.

There is muxo and especially subler, that allow me to integrate .srt files into my MP4 files. but for that I already need the subtitle file. many movies I wanna rip are old and I wouldn't find the subfiles in the web.

So I guess the big question would be:
Is there a simple Mac software that allows me to rip a soft subtitle file (.srt I guess) from the DVD??? so I could just launch it to my movie in VLC... or if I understood it right I can later combine my soft sub files with subler (or muxo) so I have various hardsub versions to watch on a iPod.

Any other ideas for that topic? I really hope I didn't oversee a already existing thread.
Greets to all you guys and thanks for any advice.
granita
ccjensen

Re: MP4 Soft Sub handling

Post by ccjensen »

http://www.objectifmac.com/dsubtitler.php
is a decent tool. As the subtitles on dvd's usually are "images" rather then text strings, OCR software has to be used. d-subtitler does a decent job, but means you have to do some manual work.