Extra chapter when I try to encode

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DJFriar

Extra chapter when I try to encode

Post by DJFriar »

I'm using Handbrake 0.9.3 and RipIt 1.2.5 (I just updated to 1.2.9, but haven't tested it yet). All my rips from RipIt appear to work excellent, but when I go to Handbrake to encode them to my AppleTV, I seem to see an extra chapter listed. Sex Drive Unrated and Midnight Meat Train are the two most recent examples. They are 24 chapters according to the DVD itself (when you go to the "Scene Selection" option when playing back the DVD in a normal DVD player), but Handbrake sees 25 chapters.

Is this a normal issue, or is something wrong? After I process in Handbrake I use MetaX to add the iTunes info, and I would like to have the proper chapter titles/numbers if possible. Any ideas how to fix it?
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: Extra chapter when I try to encode

Post by cvk_b »

That's a problem with Ripit. They know about it. You can search their forums about it. They will fix it someday. Or you can run the Ripit rip through Dvd2oneX2 to fix it before send giving it to HB.
DJFriar

Post by DJFriar »

cvk_b wrote:That's a problem with Ripit. They know about it. You can search their forums about it. They will fix it someday. Or you can run the Ripit rip through Dvd2oneX2 to fix it before send giving it to HB.
Ah, I think its just re-adding the first chapter again at the end. I should be able to just set Handbrake to ignore the last one then, right?

Is there a way to slice off the last chapter once Handbrake has already done its encoding?
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

This is a problem with both Mac the Ripper and Rip-it. I don't know why, and in all honesty don't really care, only because passing it through DTOX corrects the issue 99% of the time. It is annoying, but easily fixed. Usually, however, I have also found that a non-DTOX'ed movie's extra chapter is only 2 to 3 seconds in length. Simply removing the offending end chapter using Handbrake's chapter from-to feature gets rid of it. Good luck.
AeroQ

Post by AeroQ »

Another option to remove extra chapter is to use SimpleMovieX.
It can add/change/remove chapters in MP4 and MOV files without reencoding, in just a few seconds.
http://simplemoviex.com/SimpleMovieX/

Regards, BJ
randman

Post by randman »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but after ripping & encoding hundreds of movies, I've discovered that close to a hundred of them have an extra chapter at the end of the encoded m4v file. Basically, the first chapter is duplicated at the end of the movie (in case it matters, I ripped my DVDs using ripit). I tried using SimpleMovieX to remove the extra chapter at the end (as suggested above), but it cannot handle editing of files that have two audio tracks (I want the 5.1 track for AppleTV and the stereo track for iPhone). I'd rather not reencode the movies (I used HandBrakeCLI-batch for encoding my ripped VIDEO_TS folders - if I wanted to reencode, I'd have to use the GUI and deselect the extra chapter - but using the GUI for a hundred movies will take a while).

DTOX was mentioned above. I haven't used it, but isn't it used mainly for ripping DVDs to begin with and not for DVDs already ripped? Or is there some way I can have it process my VIDEO_TS folders to fix the duplicate extra chapter?

Or, is there an alternative to SimpleMovieX that can be used to remove the last chapter without having to reencode the file and no loss in quality on the existing m4v?

Thanks.