MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (4 GB Mem) Overheating

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jnyberg

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (4 GB Mem) Overheating

Post by jnyberg »

Hi,

My MacBook is really overheating when converting a movie. I guess this is normal, but every now and then it freezes, and I have no choice but to force shut down by holding down the power button.
I'm afraid this is going to damage my MacBook in the long run, and besides it's a pain when a movie is about 99% done and the computer freezes. Then I have to start all over again.
Is there anyway of fixing this?

Thanks
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz (4 GB Mem) Overheating

Post by TedJ »

Make sure your vents are clean and elevate the rear of the machine about 1/2" or so to encourage airflow. If it's still overheating then take it to an Apple Centre for servicing - it's possible your heatsinks may need cleaning.
shoarthing

Post by shoarthing »

jnyberg wrote:Hi,

My MacBook is really overheating when converting a movie. I guess this is normal, but every now and then it freezes, and I have no choice but to force shut down by holding down the power button.
I'm afraid this is going to damage my MacBook in the long run, and besides it's a pain when a movie is about 99% done and the computer freezes. Then I have to start all over again.
Is there anyway of fixing this?

Thanks
. . excellent advice from TedJ: all I would add is that if your MBP is a Penryn 15" [early 2008 model] it shouldn't be doing this - they are cool-running compared to the previous 2 iterations of MBP. I would definitely take this back to Apple if within warranty.

Are you using your MBP in 'clamshell' [ie closed] mode?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Yeah, my 2007 Santa Rosa MBP gets very toasty (80-85 C) while encoding, but I've never had it freeze or lock up on me.
jnyberg

Post by jnyberg »

Thanks for the advice, I'll try lifting up the rear of my macbook.
The weird thing is though that it does this randomly, not always when I convert. And usually while I'm doing something else.
Like i may be browsing the web, then i quit Safari using comman+q, safari quits, and immediately the screen goes dark and that huge powerbutton sign shows up and it says I have to restart by holding down the power button.
I'll let you know if lifting the rear of my macbook helped.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

jnyberg wrote:Thanks for the advice, I'll try lifting up the rear of my macbook.
The weird thing is though that it does this randomly, not always when I convert. And usually while I'm doing something else.
Like i may be browsing the web, then i quit Safari using comman+q, safari quits, and immediately the screen goes dark and that huge powerbutton sign shows up and it says I have to restart by holding down the power button.
I'll let you know if lifting the rear of my macbook helped.
That's a kernel panic. It doesn't necessarily mean your Mac is overheating, BTW:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392