Settings for already compressed DVD title

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jnyberg

Settings for already compressed DVD title

Post by jnyberg »

I was wondering if anyone can help me?
I've converted a few of my DVDs using handbrake and using recommended settings i found on this forum (AppleTV preset changing constant quality to 62%). Anyway, I was wondering if someone can give me suggestions on how to convert an already compressed DVD (DVD9 to DVD5) in handbrake to maintain as close as possible the same quality as if I had converted the original uncompressed DVD? How high should i push the "constant quality" -control to compensate? I have in my stupidity sometimes way back, compressed a DVD i owned to fit on a single layer DVD-R to back it up, but have since then lost the original DVD, and now since I've started backing up my DVD collection to AppleTV format, I'd like to also back this one up, but try to maintain a good quality. I know this sounds a bit complicated, hope someone understands this post.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Settings for already compressed DVD title

Post by s55 »

Just stick with the presets. You can't get the original quality back, once lost, it's gone for good.
jnyberg

Re: Settings for already compressed DVD title

Post by jnyberg »

Damn, well thanks anyway.

I did try one thing though, remains to be seen if it worked. I took another very similar DVD. Ripped a chapter from it using normal settings.
Then I took the compressed DVD I wanted to rip, found a chapter that was only one second longer than on the other DVD, ripped it using the exact same settings, also made sure that the output dimensions were the same. Then I compared both file sizes, and the chapter from the compressed DVD was as expected much smaller than the other one. So I ripped it over and over, changing the constant quality setting until I got it as close as possible to the same filesize as the one ripped from the other original DVD. I achieved this by setting the constant quality setting to 66%. I then put the whole movie to rip over night. I have yet to see the result since I haven't been home. So the file size may be as large as if ripped from an original DVD, but who knows with the quality, right? I probably won't be able to see a difference anyway, not with just my eyes as tools atleast.