more error movies

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
the_zapper

more error movies

Post by the_zapper »

New mac & handbrake user...I've run across four DVDs now that can't be opened in quicktime or imported to itunes for use on my apple tv. All movies were ripped with the proper settings for a-tv and I made sure the file extensions were all correct, but these four fail each time. Handbrake just disappears right at the very end of the rip and the .mp4 file can't be opened. Any ideas why? The movies:

The Score
V for Vendetta
The Thomas Crown Affair
The Shawshank Redemption

I tried running them through mactheripper first and they did just fine...but handbrake [Censored] the bed with the files...as always right at the very end of the rip.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: more error movies

Post by jbrjake »

the_zapper wrote:All movies were ripped with the proper settings for a-tv
Proper settings being...?
the_zapper

Post by the_zapper »

jbrjake wrote: Proper settings being...?
h264/aac, 160kbps audio, 24fps...same settings I used for the movies that did work
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

the_zapper wrote:
jbrjake wrote: Proper settings being...?
h264/aac, 160kbps audio, 24fps...same settings I used for the movies that did work
average bitrate? target filesize? constant quality? and what value for the one you used?
the_zapper

Post by the_zapper »

jbrjake wrote:average bitrate? target filesize? constant quality? and what value for the one you used?
avg bitrate, 5000
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

5000 is really high. Higher than you should really have to use for mpeg-4 at dvd resolution. I've even seen 720p at 4500kbps. 2500-3000 should be more than enough.

However, the exact problem you're having is, I believe, a size issue. Right now, HandBrake has a problem with .mp4 files that are larger than 4 gigs. It might not even actually be in the program itself, but in a library it uses. If movies are really long, at 5000kbps they'll easily take up that much space. Are the files you get, that won't open, 4 gigs or larger?

Anyway, going down to a lower bitrate will probaby fix the issue, if that's it.

Getting the bug fixed...that I cannot give a time frame for.
the_zapper

Post by the_zapper »

jbrjake wrote:5000 is really high. Higher than you should really have to use for mpeg-4 at dvd resolution. I've even seen 720p at 4500kbps. 2500-3000 should be more than enough.

However, the exact problem you're having is, I believe, a size issue. Right now, HandBrake has a problem with .mp4 files that are larger than 4 gigs. It might not even actually be in the program itself, but in a library it uses. If movies are really long, at 5000kbps they'll easily take up that much space. Are the files you get, that won't open, 4 gigs or larger?

Anyway, going down to a lower bitrate will probaby fix the issue, if that's it.

Getting the bug fixed...that I cannot give a time frame for.
I'll give it a shot, thanks for the advice. While I use 5000, most of the file sizes (even 2+ hr movies) end up being less. I just ripped the first Pirates/Caribbean movie (2:23) using the same setting and the file size was only 2.32GB. Thomas Crown Affair and at least one or two of the other suspect DVDs were over 4GB though. I'll report back.
the_zapper

Post by the_zapper »

well it appears that was the problem. I reripped Thomas Crown Affair with 3000 instead of 5000 and the file size this time is 2.38GB. Itunes is importing it now. I plan to rip the others later.

Thanks a lot!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I agree with jbrjake, I don't think you'll need to go above 3000 for DVD-resolution sources to receive an excellent output file.

Also, I believe it is a known issue with QT/iTunes accepting files over 4GB in size.
the_zapper

Post by the_zapper »

nightstrm wrote:I agree with jbrjake, I don't think you'll need to go above 3000 for DVD-resolution sources to receive an excellent output file.

Also, I believe it is a known issue with QT/iTunes accepting files over 4GB in size.
You might be right on both accounts, however it definitely had something to do with handbrake as well since the app quit instead of remaining open with "done" in the lower left-hand corner. Hopefully this is the end of the issue though and I can finish ripping my collection without problems and then get started on [EDIT: sorry about that, jbrjake]
baggss

Post by baggss »

I know the Shawshank Redemption works fine...
the_zapper

Post by the_zapper »

baggss wrote:I know the Shawshank Redemption works fine...
Correct...after reripping all of these with the lower bitrate the files worked.