Nightly builds

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

rhester
Veteran User

Nightly builds

Post by rhester »

This may be premature (and if it is, feel free to tell me to be quiet ;), but should we consider automatic production of nightly builds from svn available to the beta testers? (For those who haven't been following along, we are slowly building a group of "real" beta testers, complete with Trac access, who can hopefully help us find flaws that those of us too close to the code would never think to look for. ;)

I can do automated builds for Linux, and have thoughts on a workable approach for other platforms (including Cygwin...but not so much mingw, at least not with my meager skills), but would rather not go into detail unless people think we're really ready (and have enough change in flight to justify nightlies).

Thoughts? Rants? Stone throwing? :)

Rodney
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

we don't really need to worry about mingw since Cygwin seems to work fine, unless of course it can offer improved performance???

I noticed that hbtest.exe only uses about 75% CPU tops across 1 or 2 Core systems. Seems to me theres a bottleneck somewhere.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

sr55 wrote:we don't really need to worry about mingw since Cygwin seems to work fine, unless of course it can offer improved performance???
It's not about improved performance as much as it is lack of dependence on external 3rd party libraries. A mingw binary is "standalone" and doesn't require us to ship Cygwin DLLs with the app, which is a good thing (especially considering all the support issues that arise when some unfortunate soul has more than one Cygwin DLL on their system of different versions).

Rodney