New UBs on ftp site

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

johnallen
Experienced

New UBs on ftp site

Post by johnallen »

I've compile UB of HB and IHB from current rev in svn(78), and placed them on the ftp site.

In the usual spot:
http://multics.dynalias.com/handbrake/devbin/
Last edited by johnallen on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Awesome johnallen!

Hey, I have a few things I have been thinking about as we move forward. One is the bug tracking thing that you posted about. I know rhester actually commented on it last week in one of the threads and it sounds like he was thinking the same thing.

Also do we want to try to denote a rev number (not svn rev, but maybe carrying on with the 0.7.1a4 series or something like that) for any binaries we post on the developers ftp site? Just some way for users to get an idea of what they are downloading. I think that ftp site is a great way for some of the power users over at the official forum to get some of the cutting edge stuff. Like baggs, and company. They are not into code but definitely like to try out new stuff, dont mind bugs, and have used HB extensively to have a good point of comparison. I figure it is mostly for them. I would imagine most of the regular developers here are building our own binaries from source. Thoughts?

I also think that maybe we should re enable logins to the svn like you and I talked about. It just helps (at least in my case) to keep straight who did what particularly if there are any questions about the modifications made to a certain rev. What do you guys think?

Maybe some sort of roadmap to get an idea of where we want to go or something like that. Not that developers cant do what they want, of course, but I dont want to be working on a gui and then find out that someone else is doing the same work. That sort of thing.

And lastly, as we have said before, how far do you go and depart from titers project ? I, like I imagine you, and many of the other developers, have ideas of what we would like. And some of the things I have heard could take HB into some new places, I am all for it, just wondering what you all think.
johnallen
Experienced

Post by johnallen »

bug tracking:yes

I have been trying to advance the version shown in IHB's about box. (plist setting) I'll leave HB up to you. Simply naming the files according a release version is a bad idea.

svn logins: yes if rhester has time to do it.

I understand the duplicate work thing. I noticed someone else posted that they were working on preferences. I thought of you when I read that. A bug tracking tool would help. Then a developer could assign a bug/feature to himself. And other developers would know who's doing what.

As far as titer...I thought someone mentioned they were going to try to get his blessing for us to move on without him. I say we move on.
mk2000

Post by mk2000 »

archived and disabled my 0.7.1.a2 UB thread on the official site.

Posted new thread and currently pointing people over to the main site to acquire the current HandBrake build.

rhester, if this causes problems for your server, let me know and I'll be happy to host the binary on my site.

mk2000
SndChsr

Post by SndChsr »

Sorry I've been missing for a while. I've been following your work here though, and I'm amazed. Great job with everything.

I've been using the 0.7.12 binary, and it works great. I've been ripping 640x272 x.264 movies to my iPod, getting about 25-30 fps on my 1.83CD MacBook. Everything looks great. (BTW: I was excited to see jbrjake digging deeper into the advanced encding preferences.)

I downloaded the new binary and tried it out this morning. Unfortunately it crashed when selecting a VIDEO_TS folder on my computer. I tried a few different folders, with the same result each time. It may be my system, you'll want to get someone else to confirm this before you act on it, but I thought it was worth noting.

Again, great job with everything guys.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

SndChsr wrote:Unfortunately it crashed when selecting a VIDEO_TS folder on my computer. I tried a few different folders, with the same result each time. It may be my system, you'll want to get someone else to confirm this before you act on it, but I thought it was worth noting.

Again, great job with everything guys.
There is one bug in the scan panel on HB. ChangeMatrix isnt working right. YOu can have the DVD radio button clicked, then choose a folder off your hard drive (which should be deactivated, but is active) so, then if you hit OPEN it tries to access a dvd that isnt there since that radio button is active.

I almost have that fixed and will include it in new gui which I hope to checkin later today.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

mk2000 wrote:archived and disabled my 0.7.1.a2 UB thread on the official site.

Posted new thread and currently pointing people over to the main site to acquire the current HandBrake build.

rhester, if this causes problems for your server, let me know and I'll be happy to host the binary on my site.
Not an issue here. In fact, I'm working to increase the capacity of the server to handle far more traffic in the future. You can probably guess why. :)

Rodney
massimobio

Post by massimobio »

I've been testing the UB 0.7.1.a2 build for a few days and it's great but I'm having one major problem with more or less half of the VIDEO_TS folders I try to encode. (I'm using 1000kbps H264 BL3.0 on a CD MacBook).
The console log in the root library starts to inflate very quickly until it fills up my startup drive and crashes the system.
The problematic VIDEO_TS folders come all from different dvd authoring programs but not MacTheRipper.
This is what a snippet of the console log looks like:

[mp2 @ 0x57a524]header missing skiping one byte
[mp2 @ 0x57a524]incorrect frame size

I tried the new UB (78?) posted here on the ftp site and I'm getting the same problem.

BTW it's getting a bit confusing to keep track of the different test version of HB since there's no Rev number in the About box.

Don't know where to exactly report bugs, hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the great work.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

massimobio wrote:BTW it's getting a bit confusing to keep track of the different test version of HB since there's no Rev number in the About box.
We just sorted that out (I think) as of right now, if you seeing 0.7.1a5 in the about box, you arent using our latest.
massimobio wrote:Don't know where to exactly report bugs, hope this is helpful.
Thank you for the great work.
For right now, this is the place and "Thanks".