an option to get the Temporary drive / directory to choose themselves?

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

savegirl

an option to get the Temporary drive / directory to choose themselves?

Post by savegirl »

german:
2. Besteht die möglichkeit das Handbrake eine Option bekommt um das Temporäre Laufwerk/Verzeichnis selbst zu wählen z.B:c:\Temp nach D:\temp, dieses ist für SSD Nutzer von erheblicher tragweite, da die SSD's troz Trim etc,
unter Temporäre dateien in mitleidenschaft gezogen werden können.
Aktuelle Codier Software sollte die auswahl des Temporären Laufwerks/Verzeichnises erlauben.

englisch:
2. Is it possible that HandBrake :?: an option to get the Temporary drive / directory to choose themselves :?: ,
this is for SSD users of considerable importance z.B:c:\temp to D:\temp, since the SSD's troz Trim etc,
can be drawn under temporary files affected.
Current coding software should allow you to select the Temporary drive / directory produces.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: an option to get the Temporary drive / directory to choose themselves?

Post by mduell »

I think it uses the system-defined temp location, you can change that and all programs respecting the system-defined location will follow it.

Plus there's typically not enough temp data being written to care much vs modern SSD longevity.
savegirl

Post by savegirl »

I think it uses the system-defined temp location, you can change that and all programs respecting the system-defined location will follow it.

Plus there's typically not enough temp data being written to care much vs modern SSD longevity.
German:
Für System Programme mit kleinen Temp dateien ist es bei SSD nicht kritisch, jedoch wenn mit Handbrake grössere dateien 1GB - 17GB bearbeitet werden ist das auf längere sicht ein KO für SSD, daher die bitte das Handbrake wie viele andere Code.. Programme eine Option für ein anderes Temp Verzeichniss einführt. z.B.: D:\Temp.

Eine verlagerung des gesamten System Temp Ordners ist zu dem machmal auch System beding kritisch.

english:
For system programs with small Temp Files at SSD not critical, but if with HandBrake Larger files available 1GB - be 17GB processed which is in the longer term a killer for SSD, therefore please the HandBrake like many other code .. programs an option for another temp directory introduces. e.g .: D: \ Temp.

A relocation of the entire system temp folder is to the sometimes system requires critical.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

HandBrake uses the temporary folder only to store ~ 15 still images for each title, and it's not something that could kill a SSD.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

To re-affirm what Ritsuka said, HandBrake's encoding is all in memory, not on disk storage, So you only have the source / destination locations when you already control. The only file that gets stored during the encode is a tiny stats file by x264/5 and only if your doing 2 pass encoding. Since these files are tiny, it's irrelevant if it's on an SSD or not.

As he said, we only store the preview images, and it's beneficial for these to be on fast storage for the GUI preview window to operate with good performance. You need to be doing millions of encodes with full HD content or greater with lots of previews before this becomes a problem.
nhyone
Bright Spark User

Post by nhyone »

I don't think we need to babysit SSDs. If you write a 30 GB source on the SSD and the output is 10 GB, that is only 40 GB write. SSDs are rated for 20 GB writes daily for a number of years (3 or 5). (I'm taking this commonly quoted claim at face value.)

If you ask me, temporary files are exactly what SSDs excel at. :lol:

I'm more worried about SSD "sudden-death".