Source Code does not build!

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

lak

Source Code does not build!

Post by lak »

Hi!
I have been trying to build the handbrake source code to generate an executable file for windows. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and mingw.
After a fresh install of linux(Ubuntu) I followed all the steps on the "building for windows page", and have ensured all the required packages are installed and up to date. Still my build fails and the following error appears.

" ./ configure: line: 12404: syntax error near unexpected token 'GLIB,$GLIB_PACKAGE' "
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(GLIB,$GLIB_PACKAGE >= $GLIB_MINVERSION)

../config/fribidi/module.rules:2: recipe for target 'contrib/fribidi/.stamp.configure' failed'

Note: I tried the svn command to pull down the source code, but svn was not reachable, so downloaded the source code form one of the links on the downloads page, but I think this should not be a problem.
HELP!
BradleyS

Re: Source Code does not build!

Post by BradleyS »

Which MinGW toolchain are you using? The build server uses pre-built MinGW binaries. I use a Bash script to set this up on 14.04:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

TC="${HOME}/toolchains"

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Automated%20Builds/mingw-w64-bin_x86_64-linux_20131228.tar.bz2
MINGW_W64="mingw-w64-x86_64"
MINGW_W64_TAR="mingw-w64-bin_x86_64-linux_20131228.tar.bz2"

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win32/Automated%20Builds/mingw-w32-bin_x86_64-linux_20131227.tar.bz2
MINGW_W32="mingw-w32-x86_64"
MINGW_W32_TAR="mingw-w32-bin_x86_64-linux_20131227.tar.bz2"

# Toolchains directory
mkdir -p "${TC}"

# MinGW for 64-bit Windows
cd "${TC}"
mkdir "${MINGW_W64}"
cd "${MINGW_W64}"
tar -xf "../${MINGW_W64_TAR}"
echo "export PATH=${PATH}:${TC}/${MINGW_W64}/bin" >> ~/.bashrc

# MinGW for 32-bit Windows
cd "${TC}"
mkdir "${MINGW_W32}"
cd "${MINGW_W32}"
tar -xf "../${MINGW_W32_TAR}"
echo "export PATH=${PATH}:${TC}/${MINGW_W32}/bin" >> ~/.bashrc
Adding MinGW/bin to the end of PATH is intentional, I want it last priority in the list to protects against minor mishaps. Commands are prefixed anyway, so software looking to use MinGW binaries will find them.
Last edited by BradleyS on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fix typos.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Also, try configuring with --enable-local-autotools (which now includes --enable-local-pkgconfig).

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-local-autotools
Otherwise, the system pkg-config can't find the macros (a recurring pain in the rear).
lak

Post by lak »

Thanks! I figured out the problem. I had some problem with my ports. I was not able to pull the code from repository, and somehow the sourcecode I downloaded from the HandBrake page was not building.
however, on trying using an open port, I was able to build it successfully.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Glad you got it working.

Note that we recently switched from svn to git for source code management. The official repository is now on GitHub here: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/
lak

Post by lak »

Hi!
Another question is that even though I am running HandbrakeCLI on an AMD machnine, with the '-P' optiion, even then I do not see any OpenCL running. I am downscaling a .mov file by a factor of 3:1.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Please start another topic for this question.