How fresh are the x265 libraries in the HB Nightlies?

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Thratchen

How fresh are the x265 libraries in the HB Nightlies?

Post by Thratchen »

Hi
I've been lurking on the x265 developer forums for the last while and can see that there is a huge amount of development going into x265 at the moment, with submissions happening most days. So I'm wondering just how fresh is the version of the x265 library used in the HB Nightlies?

I suppose I could ask the same about the x.264 and FDK-AAC...

Cheers. I'm loving HB and am currently Transcoding my video library into HEVC/h265. The space savings are amazing...
moneymatt4life
Veteran User

Re: How fresh are the x265 libraries in the HB Nightlies?

Post by moneymatt4life »

x265 version is 1.4, which will probably be updated once x265 releases a new version... which 1.4 is about 3months old now?

handbrake only updates the x264 version whenever a dev deems it necessary... that new aqmode could be of some use, maybe :P i can't test it with anything as only the hybrid encoder has that updated x264 version, but it can't properly encode my MakeMKV rips... so i dunno...
no clue about FDK-AAC though... i would hope that it's been updated to 0.1.4, but since i never saw any info regarding it, i have no idea... i think handbrake is even still using LAME-3.98.4 or something :P but i'm not aware of anyone that really uses it, so i guess no one really cared to update it?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Nah, our FDK is still quite old IIRC. We should update to a newer x264 soon though.
Thratchen

Post by Thratchen »

Fdk-aac was bumped to 0.1.4 in November 2014
https://github.com/mstorsjo/fdk-aac/commits/master
Thratchen

Post by Thratchen »

X265 v1.5 has been released and looks to add up to a x2-3 speed improvement due to better parallel processing.

https://www.facebook.com/x265project/po ... 6523476427

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3600 ... ?p=2373824
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yes, we know. HandBrake already has been upgraded to 1.5

Don't get so excited though. Most folk won't see that kind of improvement. My test suite of files all fell within +/- 10fps on my Intel 4770K.
Most of the speedup can be seen on SD content. All my HD sources seem to be within a margin of error.

You'll notice in the above post "Dual Xeon". So obviously it's scaling is better when you get up to 8+ cores now. But given it already scaled 4~6 pretty well, you won't see much improvement there for the vast majority of folks who don't have several thousand $£ work of CPU's lying around.

Also seems more crash prone. Had 3 failures that worked before.

Still a good step forward. We may see some quality improvements in a number of presets now which is nice.