THANK YOU

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

golias
Enlightened

THANK YOU

Post by golias »

It's probably not said often enough around here. A huge thanks to each and every person who has been working on HandBrake, every step of the way.

A couple years ago, it was the best app out there for ripping files from DVD sources, simply because nothing else was even adequite. Now, it has evolved into an amazing FREE app which produces stellar-quality rips of almost any DVD into almost any format with considerably more ease than I had ever dared to hope for.

From my own personal "wish list" from back then, I'm simply amazed:

Higher speed encoding - done
Better deinterlace - done
AC3 passthrough - done
More reliable frame-rate capture - done
Better subtitle support - on the nightly build
DTS support - mostly there (still no passthrough)
On-the-fly queues - done

All this, plus de-telecine, MKV support, an improved interface, settings "pre-set" storage, and a roadmap for even more awesome enhancements.

Amazing. Pat yourselves on the back, everbody. Seriously.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

:-)

Back in October of last year, before I got my feet wet in HB code, I posted this list of grievances to digg:
I wrote:The things that suck about Handbrake:

- The x264 encoder build is old and weak, so any h.264 rips are covered with hideous macroblocking artifacts
- You can't enable any codec options like pyramidal B-frames or in-loop deblocking because Handbrake hides them all, even with the CLI
-It [Censored] up the frame rate auto-detection, leaving 29.97fps movies ripped at 24fps unless you select the frame rate manually
- NO MKV SUPPORT
- Hard burned subtitles
- No anamorphic rips at full display aspect ratio unless you rip them as 720x480 and mux yourself with a display ratio set in mkvmerge

- The main developer has pretty much abandoned the project and seemingly despises posting on his own forum.
- The new volunteer development team has just gotten started
- There hasn't been a real update in frickin' ages

....but I still use it, because there isn't really a better option available. ffmpegX is a hideously deformed monster.

Where's the Mac equivalent of MeGUI? Or aviSynth? Is the Mac build of aviDemux ever going to be usable?
What a difference a year makes...
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

jbrjake wrote:- Hard burned subtitles
*poke* :wink:
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

hawkman wrote:
Personally, I can live with the hard burn, now that the nightly build has subtitles that don't suck (original colors instead of see-through), but I get why some people would want the option of making them switchable.

I'm so happy about it, I'm about to re-rip just about my entire anime collection.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

hawkman wrote:
The way I see it is that we are encoding these DVDs for our own personal viewing, not for anyone elses, that could be illegal. Therefore we generally either want the subtitles or don't, and that won't change over time (unless we learn a new language, or go deaf).

So I personally have no incentive to get rid of burnt in subtitles, I like it like that.

Cheers, Ed.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Well, personally, I want subtitles when I'm in a noisy environment, or when I'm trying not to disturb other people. But we're getting off-topic. :)
golias
Enlightened

Post by golias »

eddyg wrote:
hawkman wrote:
The way I see it is that we are encoding these DVDs for our own personal viewing, not for anyone elses, that could be illegal. Therefore we generally either want the subtitles or don't, and that won't change over time (unless we learn a new language, or go deaf).

So I personally have no incentive to get rid of burnt in subtitles, I like it like that.

Cheers, Ed.
I have a friend who is Japanese and married to an American who would disagree with your preference. Not being able to turn off subtitles is his single biggest beef with HB... but I know what you mean.

For me, the lack of DTS pass-through is the only remaining thing I have to whine about. It's impossible to rip my Samurai Champloo disks into Japanese discrete 5.1, and all that money I spent on 14 DTS "Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex" special editions goes to waste unless I stick with VIDEO_TS files via the DVD Player for now.

But the point is, we are now arguing about which extremely minor nit-pick is the least minor. That's a heck of an indicator of how awesome this software has become lately!
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

Yes thank you all for your hard work! HandBrake is one of my favorite apps. Let us know where to send the beer in thanks. Heineken or Guinness?
th3rmite

Post by th3rmite »

Thanks from a longtime user here. Your software came in real handy before my real long road trip to Afghanistan!