Compile HandBrake on Mageia Linux

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Augier

Compile HandBrake on Mageia Linux

Post by Augier »

Hi there !

In order to compile a RPM package for Mageia Linux, I tried to compile Handbrake's sources on Mageia. But it fails with with the followng error :

Code: Select all

checking for FT2... no
configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2) were not met:

No package 'freetype2' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FT2_CFLAGS
and FT2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
../contrib/libbluray/module.rules:2: recipe for target 'contrib/libbluray/.stamp.configure' failed
make: *** [contrib/libbluray/.stamp.configure] Error 1

I tried to debug it for 2 hours, but to be honest, the compilation chain is so complex to me that I don't understand anything... :(

Would it be complicated to configure a complilation chain for Mageia Linux (taking in account that Mageia is based on Mandriva Linux) ?

Thx !!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Compile HandBrake on Mageia Linux

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Nobody here runs Mageia linux (or mandriva, or arch, or slackware, or suse, or ... I could fill the page with this). So no, there are no plans to cater to mageia.

To address your particular problem, you are missing the freetype2 development packages. Since you are missing this, I have to assume you have not
read doc/BUILD-Linux. This file gives general instructions for building, including a complete list of the packages you must install. Package names will
be different on your distro of coarse, but it should provide a good starting point for you.
Augier

Post by Augier »

Yes, I have, however distribution package name seems to be different but since I completely don't understand the compilation process, I'm not able to deal with what is wrong.

Edit : There was a misunderstanding here : I wasn't asking you to adapt HandBrake to Mageia Linux, but give me information to do it myself.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Augier wrote:Edit : There was a misunderstanding here : I wasn't asking you to adapt HandBrake to Mageia Linux, but give me information to do it myself.
The current linux instructions are the best I can do. I've never touched Mageia, so don't have a clue how to help you beyond that.
Augier

Post by Augier »

Maybe this could help us :

I saw that under Fedora (using RPM packages too) the freetype RPM is name freetype-devel.

Under Mageia, no freetype-devel, but two packages named :

lib64freetype2
lib64freetype2-devel

If the problem is only to specify the package name, maybe you could say me how to do it ?

Precision : Fedora and Mageia are very similars, lots of RPM packages of Fedora work on Mageia. The only difference bitween the two may be the packages name.

Many thx !
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

It's the one named -devel, obviously. Fortunately Linux distros are consistent in that all of them seem to name their development packages with that suffix.

It should really only be a matter of finding the right name for all the required packages and installing them.

Also, since, as you say, you're really unfamiliar with the compilation process, perhaps you should ask more experienced Mageia users for help in that regard.
Augier

Post by Augier »

Well I finaly installed the RPM from Fedora and it worked. Not sure why, but it worked.

Thanks for the help !