Device Presets (suggestion for improvment)

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

leakim

Device Presets (suggestion for improvment)

Post by leakim »

As myself I guess that most users are not to sure of what 'Presets' or settings that works best for their target device. The different 'Presets' settings do help but it would really help to list some common devices in the list too. The problem is that no one want to maintain a list of device-settings and different users may prefer different settings for the same device. So how about if one could take advantage of the community and/or users for this.

What if a user could create new 'Presets' entry with a name like 'Nexus One - high' with some settings that makes sense. If that set of settings could then be uploaded to some web-service (perhaps google appengine) that contained a database with lots of settings, the Presets could then be shared with other handbrake users. This could then be sort of be maintained by the users them self's by voting on that Presets they liked and perhaps some motivation for the grade (much like in google play). Perhaps entries/settings could also have a 'vote for deletion' in case the database grow to large.

How about it?
nawoa

Re: Device Presets (suggestion for improvment)

Post by nawoa »

Hi, I'm just a user like you but I can answer your question.

First, this isn't the board for feature requests. You can find that here: viewforum.php?f=26

Second, the HandBrake devs are *extremely* touchy about the issue of device profiles since they're asked so often. The problem is that there are a ton of devices, not enough testers, and too many different things that are strictly user preference rather than being a technical requirement - and many times these user preferences can break technical requirements in some cases... and it's all just very messy.

For a Nexus One, I can tell you that good settings would be:

mp4 container

video width 720

anamorphic loose (ALWAYS)

modulus 16

denoise custom, 2:2:2:2 (helps with compression speed and reduces filesize, doesn't hurt the video too much)

video codec h.264

framerate same as source

constant quality RF:23

AAC (ffmpeg) dolby pro logic II 48khz 160kbps

In the advanced tab, empty the manual entry box at the bottom and paste this in for live action:

Code: Select all

non-deterministic=1:psy-rd=1.00,0.15:deblock=-1,-1:me=umh:ref=2:bframes=0:cabac=0:8x8dct=0:weightp=0:
Or this for animated:

non-deterministic=1:psy-rd=0.40,0.00:deblock=1,1:aq-strength=0.6:me=umh:ref=2:bframes=0:cabac=0:8x8dct=0:weightp=0:
Then push enter to apply the settings.

As an experiment, you might try using this instead for live action:

non-deterministic=1:psy-rd=1.00,0.15:deblock=-1,-1:rc-lookahead=96:me=umh:subq=9:trellis=2:ref=5:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:bframes=5:open-gop=1:
Or this for animated:

non-deterministic=1:psy-rd=0.40,0.00:deblock=1,1:aq-strength=0.6:rc-lookahead=96:me=umh:subq=9:trellis=2:ref=5:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:bframes=5:open-gop=1:
Depending on if the last two work, you'll know if your device can play High Profile video. I don't recall if the Nexus One can.

Also, give MX Player a try, it's the video player I recommend.