New Icons

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

nikpawlak

New Icons

Post by nikpawlak »

Note from Developers: we have already received many icon proposals. Please read the thread before submitting something we already have multiple examples of.

For example, we already have a new app icon which we like, so at this point we only need to tweak it. Toolbar icons are also well underway.

Original Post:

I started work on some new (vector) icons for HB. Going with a style similar to iPhoto and Aperture. They are still super rough but before i dial them in i figured i would post them.
Anyway as i was mocking up the icons i started tweaking on the interface a bit and aligning things. I had a couple ideas for the UI
  • - Getting rid of the Presets Drawer. You could move presets into the main view as a drop-down. and update them with a Refresh button
    - Moving Play Pause to the bottom.
    - Unifying the toolbar window styles. Theres a little bit of everything going on, (HUD, Textured, Standard)
    - Playback icons for preview. The current icons for the preview playback are |< || > >|
These are just some ideas. The Play/Pause icons are just placeholders till i work up some better ones.
I realize i forgot some things in the mockup (title, Pending items in queue, currently encoding item name.)

P.S. Im not a developer and i dont know how hard any of this would be to implement. Just a couple thought. Keep up the great work.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: New Icons and UI tweaks

Post by s55 »

Couple of comments.

While I'm not usually a fan of monochrome icons, these actually maintain meaning and look pretty damn slick! I Like it. It'll be interesting to see what people think of them.

The Play/pause buttons look a bit outa place though. Not sure moving them adds anything really. I think more consistent icons along with the rest would work better.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

That windows is awfully small. What does the advanced panel look like?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I wouldnt worry about any window changes right now

I think we should concentrate in getting fresher icons and go from there
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Some more thoughts.

- It might be an idea to have a set with some color on it (same kind of design though, they do look nice as is). Allow the user to choose a colour or monochrome set.
- I've attached all the icons we use that would ideally need to be converted for consistency.
Attachments
Icons
Icons
Icons.png (43 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

ill get to work on the rest of the icon set and tune in the ones above.
HandBrake

Post by HandBrake »

Moved to Development forum.
squal

Post by squal »

I'm super new here, but I think you've done a good job with those icons. Only thing I would point out is that Preview and Picture Settings are too complex when compared to the simpler style of the other buttons. Why not make the preview just the eye? Maybe it could be inside a similar rounded corner box like activity? The TV could also be simpler, I think. Maybe if you get rid of the controls on the right. Here's kind of what I mean:

http://www.iconhot.com/icon/png/devine/256/tv-7.png
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just wondering if the icon vectorization has been finished?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Just throwing in my $0.02. I think it would be a real shame to completely loose the pineapple & coctail. It would sure be nice if we could rework it somehow to fit in. I did a crude conversion of our current Icon to svg a while back.
http://www.stebbins.biz/images/HandBrake.svg

Maybe someone could improve on it somehow.
nikpawlak

Post by nikpawlak »

Ive been working on a vectorized coctail still needs pleanty of tweaking but its getting there. The pineaple is on the otherhand is going to be a challenge.
Ill also work on simplifying the icons as suggested.

sjtrny

Post by sjtrny »

s55 wrote:Some more thoughts.

- I've attached all the icons we use that would ideally need to be converted for consistency.
Could someone please tell me who made these original play,pause etc icons? Or which icon pack they came from?
squal

Post by squal »

That icon looks pretty good nikpawlak. I can see how the pineapple will be a pain in the neck to draw, though. I was thinking about that the other day. But I think the icon should evolve into something more modern. The old one is not up to date.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@sjtry - I doubt anyone will remember the the source unfortunately. We got permission from a guy that was doing it as a hobby on his blog a long time ago.

@squal - Modern isn't always better, although nikpawlak seems to be doing a real nice job making the current icon look more modern. I've seen others try making icons with CD's and burners and all sorts of jaz, but it just takes away from the app as it looks so tacky and generic.

There is a story behind the icon / name (It's in the chat logs somewhere if you can be bothered searching through years of logs, sorry don't have it to hand) so we are quite keen to keep the pinapple. It's a well recognized symbol so I'm not keen to change it too much.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Fwiw, The Pineapple wouldn't need to be complex. I just took http://www.iconarchive.com/show/fruits- ... -icon.html as an example. (it's too small and we probably can't use it)

Someone with a bit more skill than copy/past can probably improve on this, but you get the idea.
Attachments
Example Icon
Example Icon
Example.png (18.78 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
jonasdiego

Post by jonasdiego »

Hey, guys!

Jonas Diego and I'm new here. I thought I'd give the icons a whirl. Let me know what you think.

Thanks! :)

JONAS
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Not bad - but it'd be nice to keep the "fiery" look of the drink; also, the new pineapple looks perhaps a bit boring when downscaled, IMO.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Is that pinapple vector? You might try marrying the cup from the one above, and that pinapple. (I suspect the colours need to be a bit deeper / contrasty to match better to match)

Also, folks feel free to post the image files so folks can have a play around. Don't worry, I'll make sure anyone that contributes to an end result will be appropriately credited in our CREDITS file :)
squal

Status / Progress bar on Dock Icon Mac OS

Post by squal »

I'm working on the status for the icon on the dock. I can just do what their doing on Rip-It but I was trying to come up with something more creative. This depends on what graphic ends up being used as an icon. Also, all icons I see are representations of the cup with some kind of angle, instead of a straight shot. Look at the graphic and you'll understand my challenge with that. Anyway, just throwing it out there. The graphic is just a mockup, I'm not proposing that cup for any kind of graphic. Plus, It's just a picture and not a vector graphic.

One other thing, do we need the estimated time there too? Or one or the other, which could be a setting in the preferences?

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Kinda awkward looking, but you may be onto something.

Maybe we could have the icon rendered in grayscale, Then have say, 4~8 renderings of it where the color gradually comes back into it? i.e what you have above. I think we'd need some kind of bubble to make the text readable though.
squal

Post by squal »

> Kinda awkward looking, but you may be onto something.

Please don't judge the design, I'm not proposing a design style or anything like that. It's just an idea for how to display the progress of the video being encoded. I just pulled any image from google to try and get the idea across.

>I think we'd need some kind of bubble to make the text readable though.

I like the bubble idea. I'll give that one a try.
squal

Post by squal »

Here goes idea number two, based on your thoughts s55.

I picked blue because I'm a bit tired of the red notification icon. Actually, those notifications irritate me both in iOS and Mac OS. I like growl, not the annoying number that forces me to open the up and see what's up.
squal

Post by squal »

As for the the greying out of the logo I have a better idea. I can just overlap the colour image and the grayscale one, and fade one into the other as the encode progresses.
squal

Post by squal »

BTW, shouldn't you be dropping the 64 for the 64 bit App at this point? When 64 bit Apps were rare it made sense, now it just seems to create too much clutter for the App. Actually, is there a working 32 bit app for the Mac? Isn't your minimum install Snow Leopard? Can't all machines running Snow Leopard run 64 bit Apps? I'm just asking, I've no idea to be honest.
Glenz

Post by Glenz »

Great work! Nice and clean!
nikpawlak wrote:Image

I started work on some new (vector) icons for HB. Going with a style similar to iPhoto and Aperture. They are still super rough but before i dial them in i figured i would post them.
Anyway as i was mocking up the icons i started tweaking on the interface a bit and aligning things. I had a couple ideas for the UI
  • - Getting rid of the Presets Drawer. You could move presets into the main view as a drop-down. and update them with a Refresh button
    - Moving Play Pause to the bottom.
    - Unifying the toolbar window styles. Theres a little bit of everything going on, (HUD, Textured, Standard)
    - Playback icons for preview. The current icons for the preview playback are |< || > >|
These are just some ideas. The Play/Pause icons are just placeholders till i work up some better ones.
I realize i forgot some things in the mockup (title, Pending items in queue, currently encoding item name.)

P.S. Im not a developer and i dont know how hard any of this would be to implement. Just a couple thought. Keep up the great work.